Imperial Lever? Help Identify Vintage Pocket Watch

Thread: Imperial Lever? Help Identify Vintage Pocket Watch

Question Imperial Lever? Help Identify Vintage Pocket Watch

Hi

I hope this is the right section... if not please can an admin move this post?

Anyway, recently my Father passed away and he left me a couple of watches including a 1930's Rolex Bubbleback with grain of rice strap!

But I have his hunter pocket watch (formely my Grandfathers) and I am struggling to find any information about it.

I did find a one line post in another forum suggesting it might be made by a company who was taken over by Hamilton... but TBH I dont know a lot about pocket watches - so thought I'd ask.

Its 9ct gold with a 9ct albert chain (hall marked) and a 1906 soverign on it.

The face shows "Imperial Lever USA" as the maker, and the box it is in (may or may not be the original) shows it was bought in R.B. Orchard Ltd, The Peoples Jeweller, Railway Square, Sydney. I did some research and only found a little out about RB Orchard... but there seems to be some references to the Masons, and my Grandfather was a Grand Master in the Masons... so this might be a clue.

The face cover opens perfectly when you press the crown down and the watch works and keeps good time - but I cant open the back cover to see any details on the movement... there is a lug present which is obviously where you open it - but its quite delicate and dont want to pull it too much and damage it... I read that you can open it by carefully using a knife blade - but I gently used a stanley blade but gave up as I am worried I might damage it

find any information about it, or potential value... yes, I read "Rule 1" so will of course take everything to do with value with a pinch of salt

But if anyone can give me any information on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Please see pictures below;

Re: Imperial Lever? Help Identify Vintage Pocket Watch

A picture of the movement is the best way to identify it. Imperial Lever USA...Imperial Lever was never a watch brand in the US. Leads me to believe that the watch has a Elgin or similar movement inside that was cased in a different country with a dial that was for that jeweler. In other words a jeweler advertised their "Imperial Lever" watch which happened to be a private label name of a model on an American movement.

On value...... Can't say but on gold content...if the watch case is not gold then the chain and fob are worth more than the watch. Also depending on the movement.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Re: Imperial Lever? Help Identify Vintage Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    A picture of the movement is the best way to identify it.
    If I get any advice on opening the back without damaging the watch I will try to post some pictures of the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    if the watch case is not gold then the chain and fob are worth more than the watch. Also depending on the movement.
    I am sure that the watch is solid gold as well - again with luck there maybe some marks inside.

Many thanks for coming back to me and if someone can advise on opening the case I will try to get some more photos - if not, I will have to take it to a jewellers and see if they can open it for me.

Thread Information