Is it impossible to repair 69 seiko bell-matic?

Thread: Is it impossible to repair 69 seiko bell-matic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it impossible to repair 69 seiko bell-matic?

I have called over a dozen places and posted on the seiko forum and even asked my SA vintage watch seller who sells vint seiko if his guy could replace the balance spring/etc and they all said there are no parts. can this be true. I have always liked this watch a lot and when it worked I wore it all the time. In fact-wore so much I probably hastened its demise. Any ideas?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: Is it impossible to repair 69 seiko bell-matic?

There's only two ways to "Fix" something like this. Scavenge parts from a "donor" watch, or make new ones. There's a bunch of bell-matics on Ebay going for anywhere from 100 to 500. That might seem a bit much for a "donor", but compared to cost of having a new part built, it's a pittance. Depends, of course, on what part you need and if it can be modified from an existing part. Even so, you're still talking about hours of highly skilled work.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

What precisely do you need done. If it's a new hairspring I have a source, a new balance staff isn't too expensive, truing the balance, questionable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would find another Bell-matic, preferably not running, to get parts from. A hairspring from another watch could be adapted, but the cost of the repair would outstrip the value of the watch itself or a donor. Is your hairspring really beyond repair? Unless it is full of rust or mangled, it should be repairable.
    I have also tried unsuccessfully to find old Seiko parts from various sources. In fact, I'm still looking for a 6138. (preferably not running) The guy at the Seiko main repair shop had a good chuckle over my inquiries. My experience so far has been that people don't service their Seikos with the same regularity as other watches, (if at all) so when they fail, they can really fail.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    There's only two ways to "Fix" something like this. Scavenge parts from a "donor" watch, or make new ones. There's a bunch of bell-matics on Ebay going for anywhere from 100 to 500. That might seem a bit much for a "donor", but compared to cost of having a new part built, it's a pittance. Depends, of course, on what part you need and if it can be modified from an existing part. Even so, you're still talking about hours of highly skilled work.
    yep. Thats my problem. I'm basically penny wise-dollar stupid. Too cheap to spend too much on a minty watch I only paid $70 for in 2007 yey just as likely to spend 3x that on impulse for another vintage.

Your right about the skilled labor. I offered to give one $35 donor bellmatic to my one watch guy and he said "nope". (i later found out it too had a bad balance spring which is evidently the hardest part to source for these) I guess he ddnt feel like he could justify the cost of the repair for a watch he thought only worth so much??. I imagine if I told him "spare no expense" ? I might get somwhere with that. But I havnt got to that place yet.

So-its pretty hard to find a working bellmatic for under $100 anymore. That plus the repair cost and I'm already thinking about what omega/or other I can get. I guess I have to decide how much I really like this bellmatic and decide to spend the money (if I can even find someone willing to do the work!) or sell it as a donor for some other poor sap.

still-if anyone knows a vintage seiko person i'd like to know
    Last edited by DaBaeker; December 11th, 2010 at 03:39.

A new hairspring fitted a vibrated starts at $125

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    A new hairspring fitted a vibrated starts at $125
    So-Am I shipping off to you then?

Not me here's the link watchmaker

What part do you need? There's lots of 6139's floating around cheap (I bought three a few months ago, hoping to get two working out of that), and most of the parts are the same (except, of course, for the second register).

Sekio's are very robust with a high tolerance for abuse (at the expense of accuracy and efficiency), so yeah they tend to get worn into the ground. Plus there are a lot of bits that are riveted to the plates at the factory, and thus can't (easily) be replaced.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

You'd find it hard to find an Omega for the cost of a decent Bellmatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information