Incoming: Cousin of Geophisic, Nivada Antarctic Chronometer
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SFoskett

Thread: Incoming: Cousin of Geophisic, Nivada Antarctic Chronometer

Incoming: Cousin of Geophisic, Nivada Antarctic Chronometer

I've got a lovely new piece on the way over from the Auctionata auction today and thought I would share it with my friends here.

This is a Nivada (Grenchen) Antarctic Chronometer from about 1960. Like the famed Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic and Rolex Explorer, this was commemorative of the watches built for Antarctic expeditions during International Geophysical Year, 1957/1958. Nivada is certainly not as well-known (selling as Croton over here in the USA) but their watches are find.

I particularly liked the "snowflake" dial on this particular Antarctic Chronometer. Very lovely, with contrast to the "icicle" markers. The dial reminds me of the Grand Seiko Snowflake, and I see a hint of Jaeger-LeCoultre in the case.

On the back is another treat: A gold medallion depicting an Antarctic research station!

Inside is a chronometer-rated ETA 2472.

Here's a bit more on the Rolex and Jaeger-LeCoultre Antarctic watches: jlc.watchprosite.com
    LoveSexAndDrugs and Tick Talk like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Incoming: Cousin of Geophisic, Nivada Antarctic Chronometer

Nice watch in excellent condition! Interesting to see a red date on an ETA 2472 (more of and Adolf Schild feature in my experience). I have an ETA 2472 from the mid sixties in a Provita and that has a black number date ring.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information