• 1 Post By Border-Reiver

Thread: Incoming: Thiel 1940-1952 Saturn Pocket Watch

Incoming: Thiel 1940-1952 Saturn Pocket Watch

Name:  thiel-face.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  295.3 KBName:  thiel-movement.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  489.5 KB

I got this nice little Thiel PW from eBay, it's a 7 Jewel Saturn (Thiel Saturn Movement/UMF 15). I got it for under $20 Canadian. It's coming from Russia. One of the main reasons I decided to get this one was it's not like the other typical Thiel/Ruhla watches which use non jeweled movements that have a high tendency to rust or age badly. (The assembly and design is similar to the Dollar watches of Westclox, so unless you find a rare one like a Ingersol Mickey Watch, it's usually not something that will be worth it. )

This one is a more "traditional" pocketwatch movement, fully serviceable and repairable to the hobbyist who has free time. I located some NOS stems on the Bay as well, but I'm going to hold off ordering until later. I will also need a neck and bow (if the term is correct) plus crown.

I also found new balance wheel pivots on eBay, amazing. Even though this one is currently not working, I am surprised I got it at the price I did, as on the Bay, most of these brand items are like super jacked up price!
    Chascomm and busmatt like this.

Re: Incoming: Thiel 1940-1952 Saturn Pocket Watch

'Incoming' - despite good images, the watch is not in your hands and it would always be better to wait until you have it in front of you. We have seen a lot of enthusiastic 'incoming-threads' with bad surprises thereafter, but in this case, you already know a lot, also about the problems, so things are slightly different.

Nice one anyway, although this is no bargain considering the shipment cost, whatever it is from Russia to Canada. In Germany, there are still oodles of those watches around (even with this somewhat 'elevated' movement), in better condition and cheaply available and certainly not at 'super jacked up' prices. If you add the pendant and bow and the crown and stem, you have already largely overpaid I'm afraid. But this is market value and not what this watch means to you. If you then work on it and get it going (perhaps with other worn out parts to be replaced), it's worth the money and the effort as part of a nice hobby.

Once you are able to wind it up, you might be in for more surprises, and rust is certainly also an issue on this particular movement here, perhaps not so bad what concerns the functioning. And the hairspring might also be something to be concerned about. Difficult to judge from the image: it could be magnetized with the regulator all the way towards 'slower', or it is too short for some reason (broken at the end and fastened again).

Whatever, I would call that a project and would very much like to see the final result, although you are now 'rescuing' an IWC...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; 1 Week Ago at 12:08.

It could be due to my geographic location, (Canada) but every time I search for certain items, the sellers simply don't sell to Canada, or the ones who do charge more. I know if I change my location to the UK in the eBay App, the amount of results will increase drastically. The same goes for USA sellers.

I've seen threads/videos about crazy finds that users from Europe found on eBay and I am a little jealous that such deals aren't similar here in Canada, but I'm afraid our economy just isn't in the same league.

The cheapest Thiel PW I found (aside from the one I ordered) was CDN $45 plus shipping and they were the disposable sheet metal versions. I see alot of Waltham et all movements and dials (no cases or key/stem) for $20 - 45 CDN but, these are really common, at least over here.

We'll see how it goes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, you live in one of the best countries one can live in on this plantet (and that's something to be jealous about), but there are also some disadvantages, and if that is restricted to what you have said above, lucky you!

Whatever, the link below (unfortunately in German) leads you to a full functional 7 jewel Thiel in top condidtion. It starts immediately when wound up and runs down the full power reserve. 4 minutes slow after 39 hours, but that would be corrected with a service, a slight further regulation towards 'fast' (if you only let it run occasionally) and it does certainly perform better when wound up every 24 hours. For me, that would be 5.99 Euros for shipping on top, fully insured with tracking number. Would be interesting to see, where this ends, but I have seen many of those not even reaching 45 Euros.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Taschenuhr-T...EAAOSwkkxd~h7m
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; 1 Week Ago at 13:37.
    PAUL H. likes this.

Ontario's South Coast - Norfolk County - Canada

"you live in one of the best countries one can live in on this plantet"

Cheers p
    "Keep on Tickin" "Vintage Timex, HMT & Shanghai +"

Thread Information