Increasing the value of your vintage watch.
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Increasing the value of your vintage watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Increasing the value of your vintage watch.

I hope this is not a silly question, but do you do anything to increase the value of your vintage watches?

What i guess im wondering, is what can add value, and what is wasting money.
    I dont mean servicing or restoration, but adding a correct box, correct buckle/strap, etc....

For example, would an Omega watch be worth more with a correct (expensive) strap with a little Omega logo on the buckle? Opposed to the cost of purchasing said buckle.

I hope that makes sense.

I have been looking for correct or close to, vintage boxes for some of the watches i have, and some of the examples i have seen are worth more than most of my watches.

Another example is a trench watch that i am looking for a strap for. I have found an original early strap in good vintage condition, but is three times the cost of a new repro.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ForSam; March 17th, 2017 at 02:51.

Re: Increasing the value of your vintage watch.

If you mean getting a dirty watch into a presentable condition, usually it's enough to have it cleaned and serviced, and a new crystal fitted. Then, value usually increases from nothing to something.

Generally, little do I care about what are my watches worth, so if you're thinking of stuff like doing some hype to sell a watch big- no, that's the last thing I would ever do. That's what Hoodwinkee does, and I loathe Hoodwinkee.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks mkws, no i dont mean refurbishing or the like.

And I dont plan on selling my watches, just curious on what people who have been collecting a lot longer than i have think.

Do the simple things count? Hard to explain exactly what im getting at.
    I need a new strap for my trench watch, and personaly i would much rather see it on an old and matching strap rather than a new one, just not sure if its worth the extra $ i guess its a personal thing too.

I collect a lot of things, and have been collecting vintage tin cars and the like, an original box will easily double the value for these things, so just wondering if its a similar deal in the watch world.

I dont sell my cars either, unless i need cash for something i have my eye on. And i can see a similar thing with watches as my taste may change, and i may look to sell here and there.

So is it wise to keep an eye open for accesories to add to your watches?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think I know what you mean. And I like matching a watch and buckle that may have come with the watch or are at least period to it. And sometimes those accessories are expensive . I have been lucky to get a watch at a great price and then spent more than that to acquire a matching buckle. Nor have I sold any of these items but I have watched how items like this have sold. My impression is that if sold you would get more if you sold the watch and your matching band and buckle separately than if sold together. My frame of reference is more Hamiltons and Seikos rather than Rolex and Omega. So my opinion is bottom line certainly someone will pay more for a watch with the extras but you might not get back what it took to acquire them separately.
    ForSam likes this.

For your trench watch, WWI leather is unlikely to be wearable long term. Buy a good repro like one from David Boettcher.

Omega - correct metal bracelet for something like a speedmaster, is a big thing.

IMO you are comparing oranges with lemons when comparing vintage watches with vintage tin cars in original boxes. It's all about the market and demand. Millions upon millions of watches produced
    Unless the watch is a very rare collectable or of a high value finding the original presentation box or attaching an original strap will add little if anything. More critical is the condition and originality of the case , hands and movement including its operation. Whereas vintage tin cars in original boxes especially unopened is very much in demand and worth much much more than the toy by itself.
    ForSam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Omega - correct metal bracelet for something like a speedmaster, is a big thing.
    Depends- a ref. 1171 bracelet can still be ordered from Omega, so it won't really increase the value by much, if we're talking of 1968-1970/71 ref. 145.022. But indeed, a 1039, also correct for the reference, does increase the value by quite a bit.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

When I first got into vintage watches (mostly Seikos) I spent many hours and dollars trying to track down "correct" manuals, boxes etc. Sometimes I was successful and now those items are collecting dust in my closet. In retrospect, I could have channeled both hours and cash to better use, but it was fun at the time. I doubt they will add significantly to the value of the watches since they are not original.
    Conversely, when I picked up my 6105 it came with the original rubber strap, which is pretty rare these days. I wouldn't wear it on that 45 year old strap for love or money, but I'm pretty sure it enhances the value of the Seiko. Some might argue, perhaps correctly, that the strap would bring more sold alone than it would add to the selling price of the watch as a set. Who knows for sure? For now the strap also resides in the closet, while the 6105 enjoys the safety of a stainless bracelet.
    I guess the bottom line is don't make the effort of a search for accessories on the chance that they will elevate the selling price of the watch at some future time; instead do it if having them will make enhance the ownership experience for you.

Name:  IMG_1341.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  727.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1344.JPG
Views: 228
Size:  485.8 KB
    Triton9 and gatorcpa like this.

whatever the strap, safety is easily compromised with a failed springbar :)
    v8chrono likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    whatever the strap, safety is easily compromised with a failed springbar :)
    I don't use 45 year old springbars, either.
    DragonDan likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information