Independent Watch Company Pocket Watch

Thread: Independent Watch Company Pocket Watch

Independent Watch Company Pocket Watch

I found an old Independent Watch Company T134. It does not work but looks to be in good condition. Is this watch worth anything because I'm looking to buy a new watch and would like to sale the pocket watch. Is it worth the hassle? The date on the watch is 1890.
    Last edited by Firemedic4311; December 31st, 2010 at 20:18.

Re: Independent Watch Company Pocket Watch

We can't do valuations; in large part because the value of antiques (watches especially) tends to be all over the map at the best of times. The difference between a watch that sells for $10 and one that sells for $10,000 often comes down to minor details that even high-res photos won't capture.

The Independent Watch Company (assuming this is the one from Fredonia, New York) didn't actually make watches; they bought watches from other companies and had their name engraved on them (similar to a jobber watch). They later started making their own, but by then they were the "Fredonia Watch Company". They were only in business as "Independent Watch Company" until around 1881, and didn't sell that many, so your watch does have a bit of rarity going for it. Not working, however, makes it less valuable.

We'd be able to tell you more (such as the probable original manufacturer of the movement and the relative quality and condition) if you post clear pictures of the dial, movement and any markings on the inside of the case-back.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    . The difference between a watch that sells for $10 and one that sells for $10,000 often comes down to minor details that even high-res photos won't capture.
    While I agree that valuations can be difficult to do accurately, isn't that a bit hyperbolic? I would like to think that I could tell the difference between a $100 and a $1000 watch with high res photos available, let alone watches of 100 times that price difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A bit hyperbolic...was making a point, really. Keep in mind that "value" isn't always defined by the specific visual condition of the watch; the previous owner, the presence of a specific bit of technology hidden under the plates or other "unseeable" factors can significantly raise the value of an otherwise common, unremarkable watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I would be interested in buying your Independent if it has a good dial and it is the same as my watch.

Thread Information