Inexpensive vintage watch
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Inexpensive vintage watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inexpensive vintage watch

Hello all,

I have recently been looking into the vintage market and want to get a vintage watch. I'm not sure what brand, style or size to go for.
    I want it to be automatic and not need servicing, it needs to be fairly reliable and not to big considering I have quite small wrists. Is there anyone who could help me find a watch with this description?

Re: Inexpensive vintage watch

Go with vintage Seiko. Reliable, lots to choose from, reasonable prices, can get in stainless easily, not usually big on size....aka not Invicta size.

I always say Certina and also Tissot and they had some really nice 60's models. The Certina Blue Ribbon and the Tissot PR-516 are two really stylish models and they are cheap.

The good thing with these brands are that they used their own movements so they are a bit special compared to the 1000 or so "name only brands".

Name:  1000349.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  211.0 KB
    Here is a 18k gold Tissot I'm working on but the same model can be found with a steel case. Not the best picture but it's night here.

Name:  1000350.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  204.9 KB
    I love these Tissot movements. A few spots and I think the watch must have been dropped in some mud puddle as it was the most dirty watch I have worked on.
    Last edited by Shum; November 20th, 2017 at 23:54.
    badbackdan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To narrow it down I suggest you firstly decide on a watch style. Ask yourself is it to be worn with a suit or casually, do you prefer a smaller slimline watch or one with a larger case, an auto, manual wind or perhaps a chronograph (or an automatic chronograph depending how deep your pockets are). Once you have an idea of the type of watch you want then finding a good one will be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    I always say Certina and also Tissot and they had some really nice 60's models. The Certina Blue Ribbon ...
    I just happened to come across this one. Of course, I have no idea what constitutes "inexpensive" to the OP.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5190408...e-ribbon-watch
    Shum likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I just happened to come across this one. Of course, I have no idea what constitutes "inexpensive" to the OP.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5190408...e-ribbon-watch
    It so stylish and grows on you and the movement is just fantastic and a joy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    It so stylish and grows on you and the movement is just fantastic and a joy to work on.
    The style is absolutely classic, and high quality through and through. Very nice size (35mm) all stainless steel case.
    Shum likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

All the above suggestions are worth while, I'd add Bulova and Hamilton automatics. Many smaller sizes to be had.
    As far as service is concerned, all of them will require service at some point, and I usually factor it in
    to my purchase price, as most vintage watches have not been serviced in spite of what they say in the ads or listings.
    badbackdan, Shum and timesofplenty like this.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Another Certina model that people always are asking me for is the DS.

Name:  1000351.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  167.1 KB
    At first glance it might not look that special but when you see the thick diver crystal and feel it in your hand it's hard to let go. I only have a few busted ones right now but this will be the next to get all fixed up. It's a mid 60's model so it has a bigger crown and more modern looking hands. It's not a cheap watch but much less then most standard Omega watches out there.

They are hard to find though as the owners just don't want to part with them and I know Rolex people that now have several of these as everyday wearers as they have such a high quality feel to them.

Name:  1000352.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  280.9 KB
    Inside is the wonderful 25-651 and you can see the rubber suspension that made this the watch to go to when you were to get out into nature, they also made a diver version of the watch but these are really expensive.

I think King Seikos are a great starting point to get into vintage watches. They are inexpensive (in the hundreds of dollars) and plentiful and gorgeous; have a great history behind them in terms of both design (learn about Taro Tanaka's "Grammar of Design"), in terms of the ambition of Seiko and the internal competition at the company (Grand Seiko vs King Seiko), and of course the story of how Seiko came to Switzerland in the mid-to late 60s and flipped the entire watch world upside down!

Even if you're not a hardcore Seiko fan, just the story behind the King Seiko alone is phenomenal! You can own one for not a lot of money, compared to many other vintage watches.
    Shum likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information