Info on this 1959 Omega Cal520
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan S

Thread: Info on this 1959 Omega Cal520

Info on this 1959 Omega Cal520

Hello, Iím new to joining forums so I will introduce myself, and please bear with me if I post incorrectly.

Iíve recent starting researching vintage omega watches, after having acquired a 1940s watch from a friend a couple of weeks ago. The history and nostalgia are fascinating, however I am very novice.

Iíve recently bought this as it very similar to one I saw and liked the look of when I first started discovering watches https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123001851423

Please could anyone give me more information on it? I know the movementís reference is 1959 but Iím struggling to find the case reference in the Omega vintage db. Iíve also noticed the ĎAí in the logo is flat whereas similar watches Iíve googled have a pointed top and some donít - a logo change around the 60s I think?!

Thank you in advance.

Re: Info on this 1959 Omega Cal520

Welcome to watchuseek. Unfortunately, it's a redial with an incorrect hour-hand. The font is pretty bad ("M" and "A" particularly obvious). The hands are obviously mis-matched.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thank you for that. Thatís a little bit disappointing to hear as it seems to be from a reputable seller and I got a second opinion from a friend. Iíll have to see what the seller says. As you can tell, Iím new to this!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The cal 520 does appear in a couple of seamasters but with different case reference. https://www.omegawatches.com/vintage-watches?v_watches_calibre=3059

The case reference 14387 does not appear in the vintage database but some of it's close relations do. None with the 520 cal though.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/vintage...eference=1438*

But a google on that case number does show that 14387 and cal 520 are proper and correct. The issue here is that the redial was not done well and the hands are incorrect.
    This watch for eg. https://www.poshtime.com/495.075/Ome...87-c.1958-.php

If it was me I would live with the dial and search for a set of hands that matches the above. Here are some hands that fit the 520: http://www.ofrei.com/page864.html

It is still a nice watch IMO.

That's really great help guys so thank you. I didn't even pick up on the hands as I was looking at more of the other stuff. I will have to wait until it arrives to have a proper look and see what I want to do, knowing the case and movement are original is good just not sure about it knowing in the back of my mind its a redial. Anyway, cheers all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish02 View Post
    Thank you for that. That’s a little bit disappointing to hear as it seems to be from a reputable seller and I got a second opinion from a friend. I’ll have to see what the seller says. As you can tell, I’m new to this!
    A few points for future reference

- If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. We have universally seen that good SS Omega models like this are selling in the $500-$600 range on eBay. A model like this available for less than $400 deserves special scrutiny.

- Study the shape of the "M" in "OMEGA" until you can easily recognize the expected broad double-chevron shape. This is often a flaw in redials. You correctly recognized the problem with the "A", but apparently didn't want to believe your own eyes. The "G" is also a distinctive letter, so study correct examples.

- The mis-matched hands were there for anyone to see. They are obvious, and the seller knows about them, but failed to mention them. This, and the fact that he doesn't take returns, decreases my confidence in him. I don't know why you say he is reputable, but if it is just because of a high feedback score, you need to understand that many people who sell questionable items manage to maintain high feedback scores.

- Don't make any assumptions, since tampering can take many forms. You were wise to ask a friend for a second opinion, but even someone who is relatively inexperienced can recognize obvious flaws, so take your time and look closely. When in doubt, post photos or links to this forum before purchasing.
    Last edited by badbackdan; March 8th, 2018 at 19:30. Reason: Fixed typo.
    busmatt and thoth like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Pointers taken. Appreciated, thanks.

Following your comments, I thought I'd try to compare the watch to similar and try spot flaws/differences and train myself a bit.

Searching the case number I found one very similar on the Blackbough website - Steel Omega Ref. 14387 -3 vintage wristwatch, circa 1960 (won't let me post links yet).

Apart from the hands appearing to be correct, I noticed the logo to be almost identical. Would I be correct in spotting a redial on this one too despite the description? If not, I have a lot more to learn!

Thanks

Thread Information