info about solid gold Corum feather

Thread: info about solid gold Corum feather

info about solid gold Corum feather

The owner of my usual watch repair place asked me to check if I can find the value of a watch that he's had for a while and is thinking of selling. If you can get me some additional info about this watch or links for something similar on eBay or elsewhere in the past, I would be much obliged. I haven't found anything quite like it on eBay or Google. Maybe at least something like an exact model name would allow me or the jeweler to look it up in a collector's book. From what I understand, he wants to try selling it at his store.

Info:
    - Solid gold case and bracelet. If I remember correctly, it's signed as "18k" on the caseback.
    - Circa 1980's (or possibly 1970's).
    - Feather (peacock) dial. I've seen a few of these kinds of Corum watches around from that era, but never with a gold bracelet. The color of the feather is something like black/green.
    - Movement is hand-wound, 21 j. Includes only hour and minute hands.
    - Signed 131618 (I think on movement)
    - No box or papers, as far as I know. It's been owned by the watchmaker/jeweler since first being sold. A couple minor bumps/"dents" on the caseback, but otherwise excellent condition, inside and out.

Pictures (sorry, very crappy; were taken on my iPhone):
    LINK TO ALBUM

Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm... Found THIS recently-sold watch. It's definitely very similar (Corum, solid gold case / strap), but Oval and with a slightly older serial number.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by shleepy; April 6th, 2010 at 19:55.
    Favorite previously-owned watches:
    Oceanus
    OCWS1000A-1A
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 1967 (Cal. 321)

Sinn UX S GSG9

Re: Price check / info about solid gold Corum feather

Hi there.

Hopefully someone with some knowledge about Corum watches will drop by - alas I know nothing.

However, we just don't do valuations in here - there's a sticky explaining why. A second hand (we say vintage 'cos it sounds better) watch is worth what someone else will pay for it.

I note that you've already looked for an identical watch without success. So I would suggest that if you can find similar watches with solid gold straps by any comparable level makers (Hublot? Ebel? Movado?) that could give you a reasonable ball park 'valuation' level. I think that the sort of person who buys this will be more of a jewellery collector - or who wants just one fine piece - than a watch collector. A lot of the value will be in the gold. It is unlikely that it is 24ct (pure) gold, as that would be too soft for practicality.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

24k = 24kt = 24 karats = 100% gold.

To my knowledge, no piece of modern, vintage or antique jewellery was ever 100% gold. It's far too soft and malleable to be useful.

It probably says '14k' which is 58.5% gold.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post

To my knowledge, no piece of modern, vintage or antique jewellery was ever 100% gold. It's far too soft and malleable to be useful.
    I remember a Sinn chrono (ref. 2200) which cam ein a 22K gold case......
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

My father's wedding-ring is 22kt gold.

But I think that's the absolute HIGHEST gold-content you can practically get with jewellery. Pure gold is too soft. It needs to have some other metal in it to strengthen it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Re: info about solid gold Corum feather

I've revised my "price check" statement to something that's hopefully a bit more appropriate. :) As for the gold, it's my mistake - it probably said 18k (and I've adjusted the OP).
    Favorite previously-owned watches:
    Oceanus
    OCWS1000A-1A
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 1967 (Cal. 321)

Sinn UX S GSG9

Banned

Re: info about solid gold Corum feather

Hi Shleepy. Plenty of brands made watches like that in the late 70's well into the 90's like Omega, Piaget, Movado, etc. Unfortunately they aren't very popular now and are not worth much more than the scrap value. I'd guess that has anywhere from $1200 - $1700 in gold in it depending on how thick and long the bracelet is. I would have guessed it had a lapis dial, but that's blue and you say it's a blackish green. Good luck finding info.
    Last edited by ulackfocus; April 6th, 2010 at 20:22.

Thread Information