Info on this Bulova Astronaut
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Info on this Bulova Astronaut

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info on this Bulova Astronaut

Hi

This is another watch given to me by a friend in the family recently. The history according to him..purchased in Washington in the sixties, worn until 1972 and then put into storage, has never been opened or touched since purchase, there is a number on the case back (m6) the battery is flat/dead and i have the original one which has white plastic surrounding the battery, the crystal has a few light very fine scratches marks but nothing serious. He said it was never touched or worked since new.
    Are these collectible and what year was this made ?
    Name:  IMG_3362 (414x800).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  218.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3369 (571x800).jpg
Views: 840
Size:  340.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3363 (747x800).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  359.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3366 (597x800).jpg
Views: 751
Size:  283.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3365 (734x800).jpg
Views: 795
Size:  350.1 KB
    Last edited by watchkeeper; October 22nd, 2011 at 11:57.
    Genebe likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Info on this Bulova Astronaut

A nice read (credit to R.J. Broer): Bulova Accutron SpaceView cal.214
    watchkeeper likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

The m6 on the case back is a date code that tells us that the case was made in 1966. These are very collectible, especially in the fine condition that yours is in, but it does depend on how well the movement inside has survived. The batteries that these take are no longer made (modern equivelents can be found) but I wouldn't try to put a new one in before having it serviced.

Here's one that sold recently on the 'Bay for an idea: BULOVA ACCUTRON ASTRONAUT | eBay

Keep in mind that finding people to service these is harder and harder (they haven't been made since the late 70's, and parts and expertise are drying up) so the cost for that will be highly variable.
    watchkeeper likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just an expansion on AbslomRob's comment, putting a battery in before servicing, can tear up the indexing gear which is the hardest part to find.
    watchkeeper likes this.

thanks for the info appriciated

thanks, was just about to go and buy one!! why would it tear up the gear..i presume old lube/dirt ?

Best way to kill an Accutron is to put a battery in one that has been sitting.

These need to be serviced - and it is not just the index wheel that gets killed. Old lube is very sticky and the works in the accutron are very very finely made - they used to need a microscope to service them.

Very collectible as you know now. You even have the original and very desirable coffin link Kreisler (sp?) bracelet.

I would love one of these, you are a lucky chap.

Yours has the "coffin" bracelet, which is one of the more collectible bracelets for the Astronaut. Regarding batteries, there's a guy on eBay that sells the "Accucell" battery, which is a standard 1.55v battery modified to only output the 1.35v required by Accutrons.
    watchkeeper likes this.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Hi that's right just checked the bracelet it is stamped Kreisler USA stainless steel, cant see sp?

I see you have the Roamer logo, i have a early Roamer Anfibio matic auto day and date purchased in South Africa around 7 years back in mint condition completely original, with stamped r crown and crystal, not a scratch on it, if ok i will upload some photos and perhaps you could tell me a little about it? i have searched the net but cant find another with day and date?

thanks for the battery and other info on the Astronaut was really informative.

Quote Originally Posted by watchkeeper View Post
    Hi that's right just checked the bracelet it is stamped Kreisler USA stainless steel, cant see sp?

I see you have the Roamer logo, i have a early Roamer Anfibio matic auto day and date purchased in South Africa around 7 years back in mint condition completely original, with stamped r crown and crystal, not a scratch on it, if ok i will upload some photos and perhaps you could tell me a little about it? i have searched the net but cant find another with day and date?

thanks for the battery and other info on the Astronaut was really informative.
    Have just had a look at the Roamer..the case back is stamped mod 523 - 1120 . 016 i really like this watch and it looks mint, any info would be appriciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information