Info on this Buren please.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Charon
  • 1 Post By SilkeN

Thread: Info on this Buren please.

Info on this Buren please.

Hi,
    I wondered if anyone could provide any background info on this Buren I`ve recently picked up cheaply.
    Unfortunately it`s not a classic but dates from 1972 (inscription on back of case-give as an Xmas present)
    I`m mostly interested to find out what the movement is as well as the back story to find out if Buren which I gather was bought up by Hamilton ( in the mid 1960`s I think) was then re-sold before Hamilton became part of what was to become the Swatch Group.
    On the movement is engraved Standard Time Corp which I believe is Timex so I`m wondering:
    1.is this a franken with a swapped movement? (seems a little unlikely as the watch shows relatively little signs of use,is a cheap watch and still has the original box.
    Or 2:
    By this time was Hamilton itself also in such trouble that it started buying in cheaper movements and stopped producing them themselves?
    There is no mention of Swiss Made on the dial and the other markings on the movement near the balance are 21600 , the capital initials INT inside a sort of cloud shape ,and also a "D" (inside a circle ) 451 marking.

Name:  PICT2139.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  170.5 KBName:  PICT2140.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  215.4 KBName:  PICT2141.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  184.1 KBName:  PICT2142.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  275.5 KBName:  PICT2143.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  284.5 KBName:  PICT2144.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  323.7 KB

The case is a cheap Hong Kong job and the bracelet a sort of flexi/bracelet hybrid.
    The sunburst style dial is pleasant enough though and it keeps very good time .
    As I`m still a bit of a newbie I`m confused.
    Grateful for any thoughts.
    Demonfinder.

Re: Info on this Buren please.

The movement is a Durowe 451 running at 21600 A/h. Durowe was sold to Timex in 1959 and later resold in 1965 to Eta. Durowe was a victim of the Quartz crisis and stopped production in the 1970s.
    FrenchKiss likes this.

Thanks for that info Charon ..it seems to tie in then... possibly :0)
    Eta is part of the Swatch Group that bought up Hamilton,Eta had access to possibly old stock Timex/Durowe movements and popped them into cheap HK made cases but branded them Buren !
    Fancy me as a newbie not guessing that !
    If anyone else can add anything more please do ..it`s a bit like a Sherlock Holmes detective trail

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm astonished like you about this combination but 1972 Buren didn't really excist anymore. 05.1971 the departsments for development, construction and research get closed. They hopped to rescue the mounting through the crisis but at the end of the year they'd to stop the building of ebouche and parts. 1972 the doors closed completely and the buildings were sold. A watchcompany Buren excist again since 1991. I guess there was happen deals with the tradename in between. Technical low grade quarts watches with the Buren label have been build within the 1980 ties.

Don't let hanging your head. Your next Buren is surely some years older with a microrotor or another nice inhouse movement. Some crazy combinations of companies excist born by the different crisis. It's also in a few cases possible to find a fine movement within a simple nearly no name watch.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 9th, 2015 at 21:55.
    busmatt likes this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thanks for that SilkeN .. I already have two "proper " Burens from around the 1940`s so I`m not losing any sleeep :0)
    It`s quite interesting though to find out what sometimes desperate measures the old school traditional makers had to take to survive the "Quartz Crisis" ...probably as big a step as the old pocket watch makers had to accommodate when the wristwatch took off around the time of WW1.

Not really compareable. The exact measurement of time was a military nessesary. For example the chronographs wasn't developed for horse racing . The war and the time before filled the order books of many companys and races nowadays unbelieveable cooperations. The wrist watch also use watchmovements and it was a paralell development. A gread number of wonderful designed pocket watches for the bourgeois middle class was sold within the beginning twenties. The big problem was the gread depression for a lot of companies but usually not the technical change.

KInd regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information