Info on an early Omega hunter

Thread: Info on an early Omega hunter

Info on an early Omega hunter

A friend of mine passed me this (her grandmothers, although I'm thinking there's a few greats in there). The engraving and dial text refer to a jeweler in Pembroke, Ontario (near Ottawa), and I originally figured it to be a american jobber watch, since there's no indication of "swiss" anywhere visible. However, when the serial turned up nothing close in any of the usual databases, I took the dial off and discovered it's actualy an Omega. So now I'm looking for information. The serial would date it to somewhere between 1895 and 1902, which is a rather large range. The patent number on the dial-side traces back to one filed by LOUIS BRANDT & FRERE back in 1895 (looks to be for the keyless works).

Does anyone have a more detailed serial list, or recognize the movement caliber?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Info on an early Omega hunter

What is the movement size? No other marking under the balance?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Can't help - but a nice find.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No other markings anywhere I can see (but I haven't torn it down completely yet, just removed the dial and balance). It measures out to 15''' or possibly 14 3/4 (hard to say, the pillar plate has a flat bit, and I'm not sure if I should be measuring from that or not)

Thought I'd post a photo array of my teardown of this old timer. As you can see, this thing is a bit...gungy. There's no service markings in the case back, and I'm not unconvinced that's because it's never been serviced.

There are some very nice touches in this watch that mark it as easily comparable to the American watches of its day. All the springs are screw-down, and arranged intelligently so that you don't need four hands and a safety net to put them together. I can't tell if the finish is nickle or silver (anyone know a good way to tell?). Every piece has the last three digits of the serial number (including the barrel and cap, although I question the value of scratching the inside of the barrel...). The keyless works (the subject of the patent number, I believe) is very nice and easy to work with. So far, it's been a joy to work on.

Hi Rob,

the serial number dates it to 1900-1901 (more precisely from Omega).
    The patent number 8760 refers to the setting mechanism described here:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Omega_19

Obviously the patent number was embossed before the implementation of the
    crown mechanism. Yours has apperently a US style mechanism with latch in
    the pendant instead of the movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Additional information provided and requested

Greetings,
    I just acquired an early Omega pocket watch that's similar to the one in this thread. Mine is an open-face model, has nickel plates, is private-labeled (Dial only), has the Swiss patent #8760 setting mechanism, and a lower serial number. It does appear to be a quality movement, complete with what appear to be platinum mean screws in balance. It's 15J, intact, probably requiring a basic service, and is in what looks to be a silver case, however there are no hallmarks. It is marked "Switzerland", with a #4, and a serial number that is different from the movement.
    The movement information provided by Dr. Ranfft's site, the 19L, looks just like it, however, mine is smaller at just over 40.6mm on widest part of the pillar plate, and has nickel plates. Any info is appreciated. I'm guessing that it's probably pretty early, like 1895-1899'ish, based on the serial number, as well as the fact that it's only marked with the greek omega on the stepped balance cock. Thanks.
    If the moderator wants this in a new thread, I'm o.k. with that.

Last edited by MrRoundel; May 13th, 2011 at 18:38. Reason: Proper spelling of the Dr. R's name. Apologies.

Thread Information