Info on a Gruen dress watch

Thread: Info on a Gruen dress watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info on a Gruen dress watch

So first post here and also first venture into vintage watches. Hope I didn't screw up too bad!

I just recently purchased this watch on ebay and was hoping to find out a little bit about it. I couldn't find much through searches especially since there aren't many identifying marks on the watch. I'm not even sure if it's real!
    Name:  Gruen Face.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  219.7 KB
    Name:  Gruen Movement.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  370.2 KB
    Name:  Gruen Back.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  167.5 KB
    Name:  Gruen In Back.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  160.6 KB

It checked off a few boxes that I was looking for: Stainless Steel, Mechanical, 17 Jewel, Swiss made.

At least I'm hoping those things are true!

Thanks in advance for any help or info

Re: Info on a Gruen dress watch

Looks legit to me at first glance. Nice watch. My main concern is the green corrosion in the movement, so I'd suggest getting it serviced before wearing.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Yeah I figured it wouldn't need more than a good cleaning. Glad it looks real so far! Is it common for people to try to clean their own watches on this forum or does that take some serious skill? I like to clean and service things.. usually helps me learn a lot about the thing along the way as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Floofs View Post
    Yeah I figured it wouldn't need more than a good cleaning. Glad it looks real so far! Is it common for people to try to clean their own watches on this forum or does that take some serious skill? I like to clean and service things.. usually helps me learn a lot about the thing along the way as well.
    "Cleaning" in the context of a watch means complete disassembly into individual parts (bridges, jumpers, springs, screws, wheels, etc.), ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, reassembly, lubrication, and adjustment. There are some people (not me) who have learned to do it themselves, but it's not a simple thing to do, and there is a significant risk of damaging the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    "Cleaning" in the context of a watch means complete disassembly into individual parts (bridges, jumpers, springs, screws, wheels, etc.), ultrasonic cleaning of the parts, reassembly, lubrication, and adjustment. There are some people (not me) who have learned to do it themselves, but it's not a simple thing to do, and there is a significant risk of damaging the movement.
    Hmm yeah I figured it would be no easy task. Do you have a best guess on what decade this watch is from?

I would be inclined to say 1950s, just based on the style and my rudimentary knowledge of Gruen's history. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any records that would allow you to match the serial number with a date for Gruen watches.

Dont practice on that nice Gruen! Buy something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westfield-W...IAAOSwbtNaKFdH

If you kill that it wont be a big loss and mechanically they are all very similar so you will learn a lot. I killed several cheap watches before I got the hang of it so dont be discouraged if you do too.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Dont practice on that nice Gruen! Buy something like this

If you kill that it wont be a big loss and mechanically they are all very similar so you will learn a lot. I killed several cheap watches before I got the hang of it so dont be discouraged if you do too.
    That's great advice. Even though I know I shouldn't mess with it I would probably try. After looking up what it costs to service a watch I might have to save up for a month or 2 lol I guess I should've looked up that before I bought the watch

No more info on movement or the watch model?

I am often mistaken about movements, but I believe it may be one of these Aurore-Villeret movements. Which family will depend on size. Most watches like this had no specific model name.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Aurore-Villeret 4200 (11.5''' or roughly 26mm)
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Aurore-Villeret 423 (10.5''' or roughly 23.5mm)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information