Info On Gruen Precision
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Info On Gruen Precision

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info On Gruen Precision

Just had this watch restored and wondering if anybody can identify it with accuracy? Know it's a Gruen Precision early 60s but not sure of exact year, materials, mechanism etc. Belonged to my uncle and is a sharp looking watch, complete with original band.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info On Gruen Precision

You will probably get more info by having a picture of the movement and the back of the case.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Thank you. Can't do the movement (haven't attempted to open it yet) but the back of the case is nondescript .. (see attached.)Name:  IMG_1010.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  138.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, I don't believe that there are any records that connect Gruen serial numbers to years of production. The inside of the case-back will probably provide information about case material(s).
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

It's an extremely rare and valuable Gruen model. Don't under any circumstances damage it, ie, break a lug off, or it will instantly become worthless.

Uh oh...
    bsshog40 and tinknocker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    It's an extremely rare and valuable Gruen model. Don't under any circumstances damage it, ie, break a lug off, or it will instantly become worthless.

Uh oh...
    Funny you should jest in this way .. this was my reason for enquiring about it. The second shot of the back of the watch is an older one and I had the lug repaired, band reattached, and the watch serviced fully. It cost me several hundred bucks, but I really like this watch now. I'm not a huge fan of gold watches, but something about the vintage element makes this one really sharp.

The guy who worked on it said the same thing as the previous poster .. that Gruen does not provide serial number references. This was why I was asking. It's actually the only vintage watch I own, so I had some rather basic questions. It isn't an automatic (self-winding) mechanism so I'm curious as to whether it's possible to over-wind this model, or was the mechanism that prevents this in place by 1960?

Also, joking aside, does it have any value? Is it worth the $300 I invested in it to bring it back to life? It keeps remarkably good time .. from what I can tell better than any of my other mechanical watches.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The mechanism to prevent overwinding was in place the first time they used a spring to power a watch.

You can get mechanical failures by winding too hard once it’s fully wound but generally you’d need to use pliers on the crown to apply that much force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    The mechanism to prevent overwinding was in place the first time they used a spring to power a watch.

You can get mechanical failures by winding too hard once it’s fully wound but generally you’d need to use pliers on the crown to apply that much force.
    Thanks for the information .. very helpful.

Probably a 1950s model based on the design. Similar models used Gruen cal. 510 movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby992 View Post
    Probably a 1950s model based on the design. Similar models used Gruen cal. 510 movements.
    Thanks for the comment. I had guessed an early 60s model but it could be 1950s.

Also, on the over-winding comment .. I do find that this watch gives more resistance once it's been wound. It would seem more likely that this one could be damaged from over-winding more than the modern mechanicals I've purchased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information