Info help on these job lot finds please: Smiths Everest automatic and Waltham Pocket Watch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Info help on these job lot finds please: Smiths Everest automatic and Waltham Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info help on these job lot finds please: Smiths Everest automatic and Waltham Pocket Watch

I bagged a job lot on Ebay recently and as expected most of it was pretty ropey .
    Amongst the dross I seem to have uncovered a few half decent finds. The first two pieces I`d like some background info on are the following:
    Name:  job lot.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  510.8 KB ebay listing promised little.

First find -a Smith`s Everest Auto...was lacking a crown but sprung to life when gently shaken and I luckily had a crown that fitted in my spares.
    It has run non-stop for some 6 hours but I know little about the brand other than it seems to have a reasonable reputation for quality and was a big British brand for clocks,watches and vehicle instruments as well as other guages for industry I believe.
    Name:  IMG_20170817_143828268.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  93.3 KBName:  IMG_20170817_144113754.jpg
Size:  124.6 KBName:  IMG_20170817_143937053.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  131.4 KB
    I could find no way of opening the back to look at the movement -Is it removed through the front after removing the crystal?
    I was expecting to see Made in England somewhere but unless it`s hidden by the crystal ring it may have worn off.
    Does anyone how any idea of it`s age ? I was guessing late 50`s or 1960`s?
    A nice stainless steel case on it but coupled to a badly matched modern steel bracelet.
    There seem to be quite a few fans of Smiths on the forum so I`m hoping someone can give me some pointers .

The second nice suprise was an old pocket watch -which again sprang to life upon a gentle wind.
    No name on the dial but on turning the watch over I noticed a broad arrow which I recognised as a British military marking but the rest of the reference numbers I know nothing about.
    Name:  IMG_20170817_141028796.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  111.2 KBName:  IMG_20170817_141011365.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  84.1 KBName:  IMG_20170817_141146808.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  131.5 KBName:  IMG_20170817_141200578.jpg
Size:  127.5 KB
    It turns out to be a Waltham which I presume dates from the late 1930`s or the 1940`s.
    Just chrome plated case but in nice condition.

The dial is also good and has a circled T in the middle -anyone known if this has a meaning please?
    The movement seems a pretty low jewel count but is marked 3 adjustments so does this indicate a fairly decent quality piece?
    It`s my first fully working PW so I`m quite pleased with it following a slightly rash buy a few months ago.

Any info on either watch would be welcome.
    I think I`ll be keeping the Waltham for a while -the Smiths may have a brief vacation with me before it helps out with paying my local watchmakers service bills.
    Last edited by demonfinder; August 17th, 2017 at 18:45.

Re: Info help on these job lot finds please: Smiths Everest automatic and Waltham Pocket Watch

Nice finds! That Smiths is great. The pocket watch has the great tough looking Waltham military font for sure. Maybe the "T" means its adjusted to temperature?

Re: Info help on these job lot finds please: Smiths Everest automatic and Waltham Pocket Watch

Thanks Freddy -I hadn`t thought about T for temperature :0)
    The Smiths is growing on me..I have an old `40`s Art Deco style Smiths Bakelite clock but this is my first watch.
    Name:  IMG_20170817_180431898[1].jpg
Views: 87
Size:  118.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe that "T" is for tritium.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks Dan but I don`t think Tritium was used on watches until the Mid/late 1960`s -or at least that`s the rough age of various brands I have marked with a "T" .(usually on the dial below the 6 O`clock position.
    I may
    be wrong though

T is for tritium. If these watches were used until the 1960s, it may be, that it's a so-called MoD redial- the British MoD had some of the service watches redialed and relumed at some point.
    demonfinder and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by demonfinder View Post
    Thanks Dan but I don`t think Tritium was used on watches until the Mid/late 1960`s -or at least that`s the rough age of various brands I have marked with a "T" .(usually on the dial below the 6 O`clock position.
    I may
    be wrong though
    Well, I know that a lot of the British MoD circle-T replacement dials were issued in the 1950s, and I'm quite sure that the "T" represents tritium. Presumably your dial is newer than your movement.

Edit: I see that mkws posted a similar comment as I was preparing this response.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 17th, 2017 at 19:57.
    mkws and demonfinder like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks for the info @Dan & mkws.
    I hadn`t even considered a later re-lume as I`d assumed (obviously wrongly :0) ) that pocket watches would have been long out of military use before Tritium was in use.
    Something new learned.
    busmatt likes this.

There's a fair bit about Smiths on t'interweb. Here's one about the Everest model: https://www.smithswatches.com/collec...smiths-Everest but you'll probably find more and better with a little digging.

Regards.

Thanks for the link balaton, I`ve been doing some research this evening and these models seem relatively uncommon.
    The crystal has polished up fairly well so far and a leather strap on it improves the appearance too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information