Info on this Juvenia Slimatic?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Info on this Juvenia Slimatic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info on this Juvenia Slimatic?

I picked this up at an estate sale for $10.
    I can't really find any useful info that's in English on Google and was wondering if anyone knows about these? I even looked on eBay and couldn't find anything.

Name:  IMG_20150718_125355.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  2.53 MB
    Name:  IMG_20150718_125106.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  2.25 MB
    Name:  IMG_20150718_125042.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  2.60 MB

Thanks!
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Info on this Juvenia Slimatic?

Actually, there's a fair bit of information available on the 'net. You need to refine your search terms. I searched for "Juvenia 21" (the quotes are crucial), and found, among many others, this link to a very similar watch being discussed on a Spanish forum:

Juvenia Slimatic 21 - Vintages

There is also this 18 page discussion on Juvenia ultra-thin models on a Romanian forum:

Ceasornicar.ro • Vezi subiect - Juvenia EXXTRRRA PLAAAAT Fara Compromisuri

Depending on the size, the movement is either an ETA 2450 or 2451. Quite a lot of them were showing up lately here on F11...
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Juvenia is mostly known for their slim, simple, and usually gold cased watches. I'm a big fan of the company and one of those simple steel versions is on my list to buy. Nice catch!
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

The movement is a Juvenia signed cal. 664 (ETA 2870), I believe. There's also a 3 hand version with date and a Juvenia cal 1015 (ETA 2872)). Both are very similar visually and are obviously influenced by Max Bill's designs for Junghans. Take a look at the Junghans re-issue and you'll see a certainly similar feel to things. BTW, you got a great deal, congratulations. There is, somewhere out there, I can't find the link, a guy in Japan (I think) who has an incredible collection of Slimatics - there are other editions -but I just can't see the article today. Thought I had it, but can't see it.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Sorry, but there is no wasy that that movement is an ETA 2870. Those look more like the modern ETA 2824 and have entirely exposed balance cocks. It's definitely from the ETA 2450 series, which was used by Juvenia as e.g. their Cal. 662:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Juvenia 662 (ETA 2451)

Hartmut Richter

It looks indeed like the movement Hartmut presented but then without the sweep second.

On this Juvenia movement the option for no second is added but other than that, it's not the one in this Juvenia.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Juvenia 11511 (ETA 2892)

Maybe some of the 662 movements also had this option but it's simply not listed in Ranfft.

Juvenia was founded in 1860 by the way, by the watchmaker Jacques Didisheim-Goldschmidt. They soon moved from their small town to La Chaux-de-Fonds sensing better opportunities.
    Although they also had classic timepieces like dresswatches and chronos they were more known for their extraordinary case designs and unusual time indications. As early as the 40's they targeted customers who worked with numbers. Launching models with a slide rule or a calculator complication by turning the bezel in different combinations.

Thanks both for corrections - my information was copied from another source and is obviously incorrect. Guy still got a good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Sorry, but there is no wasy that that movement is an ETA 2870. Those look more like the modern ETA 2824 and have entirely exposed balance cocks. It's definitely from the ETA 2450 series, which was used by Juvenia as e.g. their Cal. 662:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Juvenia 662 (ETA 2451)

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Habitant; July 20th, 2015 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtowatches View Post
    Juvenia is mostly known for their slim, simple, and usually gold cased watches. I'm a big fan of the company and one of those simple steel versions is on my list to buy. Nice catch!
    I've always been aware of Juvenia but never really looked into their stuff. After looking up my slimatic I found this:
    Name:  7-Juvenia.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  98.2 KB
    (http://www.wristreview.com/wp-conten.../7-Juvenia.jpg)
    Name:  JuveniaProtractor_1_zps11a607e4.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  73.7 KB
    (http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps11a607e4.jpg)

They have some pretty unique designs, but it's a shame they're fairly hard to find. :/
    Addictedtowatches likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Actually, there's a fair bit of information available on the 'net. You need to refine your search terms. I searched for "Juvenia 21" (the quotes are crucial), and found, among many others, this link to a very similar watch being discussed on a Spanish forum:

Juvenia Slimatic 21 - Vintages

There is also this 18 page discussion on Juvenia ultra-thin models on a Romanian forum:

Ceasornicar.ro • Vezi subiect - Juvenia EXXTRRRA PLAAAAT Fara Compromisuri
    haha yeah I found those but I was looking for something in English. I just looked at the pictures and am too lazy to use Google Translate...
    :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information