Info on my pocket watch

Thread: Info on my pocket watch

Info on my pocket watch

Does anyone know about this pocket watch. I've looked on the net, but can't find much info. My father gave it to me alone with a Gruen Precision. I think they are around 35 to 40 years old.

....thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info on my pocket watch

Hi Barbie,

Both Lucerne and Gruen are good makes with plenty of history. I am not a 'pocket watch guy', so I cant give you much info! I know it would help it you can get some pics of the movement, as this will help date the watch!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Somehow, I doubt this watch is 40 years old. It certainly doesn't look like it. 20 years maybe. At a stretch maybe 30, but I don't think 40. The case looks far too modern.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

so, thats all you know............

Read this thread we need photo's of movement and serial number on the movement to get a better ID.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/dat...rst-68346.html

And Shangas is right the case is a dead give away that the watch is not that old I remember seeing those style cases in the 1970's.I am old.But if you do as the link says above some one can date your watch better.

Thanks, River Rat.

The big problem with modern pocket watches is that the vast majority of them are cheap, mass-produced knockoffs. This one appears to have some quality to it, but it is, nonetheless, a modern pocketwatch, most likely with a wristwatch movement inside. Finding an exact date of manufacture may not be easy. But I will stake my nicest watch on saying that this isn't 40 years old. That style of "faux-antique" case has been around for years and it's incredibly common on modern mechanical pocketwatches.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hi Shangas,

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    The big problem with modern pocket watches is that the vast majority of them are cheap, mass-produced knockoffs.
    Indeed,and especially Lucerne is famous for cheap pin levers. A bent wire as opening spring and lock for the top lid, instead of solid steel devices, matches a cheap plin lever perfectly.

I guess the watch was made between the 80s and yesterday for people who want a pseudo antique appearance for few bucks.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Lucerne isn't actually a brand; its the name of a collective in Switzerland, and can be used on any products made there. I have several, and they're all pin levers. The 17 jewel marking on the dial is particularly funny, as a casual watch collector might imagine that to indicate a decent quality jeweled lever movement. However, the reality is that they simply add several cap jewels in places where they don't actually do any good to make up for the jewels that a pin-lever doesn't have.

That said, if you like the look, its a nice enough watch. Modern pin levers are fairly robust. But like any mechanical, it needs to be serviced (and that's especially important with pin levers because of the metal-on-metal activity in the escapement). You'll probably find that the cost of a service is two to three times the overall value of the watch though, unless you know someone who'll do it as a hobby.

BTW, 30 years old isn't a stretch for this; I've seen some of these from the mid to late 70's which, as scary as it seems to the older members, was over thirty years ago.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

guess its a good thing I got this watch for free...does have sentimental value though..........

Thread Information