Info on my "verithin" ???

Thread: Info on my "verithin" ???

Info on my "verithin" ???

Hi, i hope you all can help....

I have recently recieved a pocket watch..
    It is a Gruen Verithin, with really nice dial, and a gold filled case.
    The serial number of the movement is 335636, and the case bears the number 310301.
    On the movement are the words.. "Verithin watch", but no sign of the "gruen and Co".. The same applies to the dial. Just Verithin is signed..
    Is this one of the originals form 1904?.
    Can anyone help me with some more info on my watch...??

The watch is running strong and keeping good time.
    heres some pictures of the watch and an identical dial signiture i found on the net...

I Have no idea as to how much this watch is worth, so any help in to that would also be helpful...
    I need to know wether to have it insured or not?????

thanks for any help you can give me..
    Darren Harber.

as you can see the white watch has the same signiture, hands and engraving to the case edge.
    Last edited by Harbrook; October 1st, 2008 at 21:32.

Re: Info on my "verithin" ???

Maybe JohnF will be able to help with this one. Your watch doesn't look like any of the Gruen movements in my reference text - but that doesn't mean much of anything.
    The case and dial are typical of 1920 or so and the movement looks like an early 20th century Swiss one.
    Definitive Gruen serial number lists do not exist any longer since the morons who sold the company 50 years ago destroyed the records.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

interesting! I've never seen a Gruen pocket watch before. They were evidently made in Switzerland from about 1900 to about 1940... with the latter being 'ultra thin' if I read Shugart correctly. The bridging looks very similar to the 'verithin' movements. 1904 seems like a reasonable date but it could be up to 1920 (again, if I read correctly).

Others will be along who know more. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here is a good website on the history of Gruen:

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/

Regards

Tim

Hi -

Just a few brief words.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

The VeriThin refers to the thickness (or lack thereof) of the movement. Gruen was able to build a watch with significantly thinner movements than most of the competitors of the day, and thinner pocket watches were and are rather more elegant than thicker ones.

Previous attempts to build a really thin movement used traditional layouts, but cut corners, resulting in a movement that was very thin, but not terribly accurate during temperature swings and the like. Gruen was able to redo the drive train of the watch in such a way that there were fewer levels of the drive train, enabling the movement to be thinner without sacrificing quality. Was a very, very big thing back then.

We do not do valuations here: read the sticky note about that. It simply wouldn't be fair to you and your watch to do so.

And as Ray has said, there is unfortunately no way to date the watch accurately, since the company's records were destroyed.

There may be watchmaker's marks on the inside of the case that document when the watch was worked on. Being able to read these can help identify when at least the movement was last worked on...

Lovely. Has it been taken to a watchmaker lately? Please do have it checked...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information