Info needed on this Elgin
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RobMc
  • 1 Post By Molliedooker

Thread: Info needed on this Elgin

Info needed on this Elgin

Aside from the gold plate flaking, and minor corrosion where the stainless caseback meets the basemetal case, the watch is in superb condition. Winds and keeps time so far. Dial
    /hands/crystal are beautiful.

Looking for info like year, model, etc... a google search for Elgin 315 brings up info on old pocket watch movements, so Iím confused.

Iíd like to remove the movement/dial so I can thoroughly clean the case, but I canít remove the crown. I assume I turn the little screw closest to the crown, but I lack a screwdriver small enough.

And input would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    azkid likes this.

Re: Info needed on this Elgin

Yes ,itís the small screw you mention .With the crown fully depressed (in the wind up position) turn the screw half turn and try and extract crown,stem ,do not force.If no luck do another quarter turn and try and so forth until you can extract . Do not fully unscrew as setting pieces will move inside .
    Gently drop out or lift out movement from case and put the crown stem back in the movement immediately so that winding mechanism stays in place. Recommend you get proper size screwdriver.
    jdrichard01 likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The mark under the balance (AS ST) shows that it's an Adolf Schild "Standard" movement (Standard was some sort of association between AS and FHF) and the numbers (1950/51) show that it's the Cal. AS 1951, the date version of the AS 1950 (the two are usually jointly marked in the way that you see on the movement):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1951 (Standard 1951)

The bottom line is that it's a "Swiss Elgin", made by some company in Switzerland who bought the rights to the Elgin name after the company folded in the mid-1960s.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. Funny, I figured the watch was mid-60ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, it may be an early Swiss Elgin, but it's nonetheless a Swiss Elgin. I am not sure when exactly they started making these, I do know that the "Elgin Tower" was demolished in 1966 so they were definitely bust by then.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information