info needed on gold full hunter roughly 80-100 years old

Thread: info needed on gold full hunter roughly 80-100 years old

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

info needed on gold full hunter roughly 80-100 years old

I'm trying to find some info on the watch pictured below, all I know so far is it's 9ct gold and was cased by the dennison watch case company. I would be interested to know the movement maker as all I can see is swiss made. my brother who currenly owns it (it was my grandads) is talking about selling it to buy new tyres for his jeep and I would quite like to make an offer before it hit's ebay, so knowing the maker would help me make a fair-ish offer. I don't believe it's anything special mechanics wise, but it's certainly very pretty and would keep my automatics collection company nicely.

It's all gone pear shaped

Re: info needed on gold full hunter roughly 80-100 years old

A 15-jewel watch with three adjustment is certainly good quality, regardless who made it.

It's a pity that the watch may be sold out of the family, but unfortunately, we don't give evaluations here on this forum (it's a policy: It's hard to judge quality based on photographs alone). I would say offer him a sum around $300 for the watch and then you take possession of it and keep it in the family. Your kids (if you have any) will thank you for it, one day...

...that said...not all antiques are worth as much as people think. Your brother may get a nasty shock if he posts it on eBay and realises it won't make much money.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

hello,
    thanks for your help, i was not really after a valuation, I already know the chain is worth about £450/$650 alone without the watch, the watch itself has about 30 grams of gold so again about £300/$450 even if I scrapped it. It's the movement that interests me as a watch collector and I would like to give my brother a little something for that on top of the gold price if it's fairly good one, which is where I'm a bit lost as my scope of watch collecting is pretty much all japanese from 60/70s. you mention in your reply that adjusted in three positions is a sign of good quality, which I'm happy to know, but I'm surprised that there is not an obvious makers name anywhere that i can see, is that common? I thought it was only bargain basement stuff that would be unmarked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It *is* possible that there are markings underneath the movement which you can't see. A visit to the watchmaker would be necessary, here. It could be just a simple, generic Swiss-made pocket-watch. If that's the case, it's origins might be impossible to trace. Most European watch-companies don't keep records the same way that the big American pocket-watch makers did...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thumbs Up Re: info needed on gold full hunter roughly 80-100 years old

I'd like to see that chain,if possible.Looks nice.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seikola View Post
    hello,
    thanks for your help, i was not really after a valuation, I already know the chain is worth about £450/$650 alone without the watch, the watch itself has about 30 grams of gold so again about £300/$450 even if I scrapped it. It's the movement that interests me as a watch collector and I would like to give my brother a little something for that on top of the gold price if it's fairly good one, which is where I'm a bit lost as my scope of watch collecting is pretty much all japanese from 60/70s. you mention in your reply that adjusted in three positions is a sign of good quality, which I'm happy to know, but I'm surprised that there is not an obvious makers name anywhere that i can see, is that common? I thought it was only bargain basement stuff that would be unmarked.
    Your valuations on the worth of the gold is incorrect.

30.00 Grams - 19.29 Dwts - 0.965 Troy Ozs
    Gold of 0.375 Purity
    0.362 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
    1,202.20 USD / Troy Oz
    Total Value - 434.88 USD
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

A good example of a nice quality and condition watch with a chain exceeding watch value. Tyres must be expensive. No way should anyone with a nice family item like this consider selling. Maybe only if it had the unlikely Rolex or Patek name on it.

Gold buyers don't buy gold at retail so Emmanuel's example provides only part of the answer. You need to find out at what discount your local buyers are buying at. I think the full retail gold price might be a good approximation of what the watch would sell for on ebay. Full retail gold value minus 1/2 of the ebay fee would be a fair offer.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    Gold buyers don't buy gold at retail
    +1

with scrap gold pricing at $1200 USD / Troy Oz you're likely to get about 80% of the scrap gold value for 9ct if you spend some time hunting around (mass mail-in buyers are advertising about $800 USD / Troy Oz)

It seems common for people who haven't investigated selling scrap gold to over-estimate their gold value

no `over-estimating prices` you should check what a 40 gram 9ct chain goes for on uk ebay, it's about £400+ and the 30 odd grams in the watch case goes for about £300 (i just checked the uk ebay again) they may seem high to you but if that's what there paying, that's it value. and ebay is where they will go, not to some `post us your gold` company who are generaly very stingy with their offers. so going back to my original question what should I give him on top of what he would get just in scrap from ebay UK for the watch itself, I'm still no clearer
    Last edited by seikola; June 1st, 2010 at 04:18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information