Info Needed: Roxy Swiss 18K Gold 15 Jewel Ladies Wristwatch

Thread: Info Needed: Roxy Swiss 18K Gold 15 Jewel Ladies Wristwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cbarcala23

Info Needed: Roxy Swiss 18K Gold 15 Jewel Ladies Wristwatch

Hi everyone,

Just signed up.

I have no clue about watches and thought this might be a good place to get some information regarding some watches I have. I will start with this Roxy which I just cannot find any information on.

Roxy Watch Co
    Swiss
    15 Jewels

It works by the way. I put up a pic. Anyone have any information about the watch, seen it before? What year, what is the value of it?

Thanks very much,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info Needed: Roxy Swiss 18K Gold 15 Jewel Ladies Wristwatch

All I can find is:

Roxy - founded 4th June 1935 by Castan & Kotalk.
    OR
    Roxy - no date given - founded by Emil Werner

Nice watch - but ladies watches are seldom very valuable, especially if the 18K refers to gold plating. We don't do valuations in here anyway. If the 18K refers to solid gold, there will be hallmarks inside. A picture of these and the movement would help regarding both the date and quality of the watch.

Thanks for posting. At first glance I would say your watch dates from the 1930s. Usually a movement picture helps with ID.
    I suggest you read our sticky notes about identification and valuation. In most situations it costs as much as the watch is worth to restore it so value is moot.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

cbarcala23

Thanks for your replies.

I am attaching more pics. What is a Hallmark inside?

FYi, it also says 2 movements on the movement. I wish I could take closeup pics but I need to get myself a good Macro camera.

cbarcala23

The only thing written inside the case is:
    ROXY W. CO

another pic added of inside, very hard to see in pic of course without a good Macro camera...

Hallmarks:

The picture below shows an example with British hallmarks (quite common on swiss watches as a lot of cases were UK made). The 9 means 9 carat; the .375 is the metric equivalent (9 divided by 24 as pure gold is 24ct), the Anchor shows it was assayed in Birmingham, and the Q - in that style - shows it was 1965. Not sure from your pictures whether its gold or not.

I think you mean 2 adjustments.

See:

http://elginwatches.org/technical/ad...nts.html#types

In essence, the more adjustments the higher the quality. Many watches were 'unadjusted'.

Last edited by Marrick; March 28th, 2008 at 17:07.

From what you've described I'd say it's a Swiss watch cased in the USA. The case is *probably* 18K gold.
    I'd still guess it's from the 1930s. If it's marked "2 adjustments" that is a good sign it's not from the 1940s at least. Most imported Swiss movements from the 1940s were marked "unadjusted" for tariff reasons.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

cbarcala23

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    From what you've described I'd say it's a Swiss watch cased in the USA. The case is *probably* 18K gold.
    I'd still guess it's from the 1930s. If it's marked "2 adjustments" that is a good sign it's not from the 1940s at least. Most imported Swiss movements from the 1940s were marked "unadjusted" for tariff reasons.
    Yes, it is 2 Adjustments. Thanks for all your responses. I have many other watches that I would like to post and get information on. Would it be alright to make one post with pics of each watch and information on each watch?

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cbarcala23 View Post
    Yes, it is 2 Adjustments. Thanks for all your responses. I have many other watches that I would like to post and get information on. Would it be alright to make one post with pics of each watch and information on each watch?

Thanks,
    Chris
    However you want to do it... I prefer separate threads but the important thing is to post... a lot of us have fun doing this!

GOOD PICS!! Movement pics!! Hallmark (inside case) pics!! It isn't as much fun if all you do is post a pic of the watch. (But it still is fun )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

It probably is better to post each watch separately. Some of us are getting older and we get confused easily. Well, I get confused anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information