Info Please

Thread: Info Please

Info Please

Anyone have any info about the Newmark Watch co? I believe they were a Croydon company, but know little else? Absolutely any info would be helpful. Best regards

Re: Info Please

started by mr louis newmark thats all i know also this i found

They started getting set up (with government backing) in 1947. The first watch left the factory in 1950. Initially the cases were bought in from another English manufacturer. Throughout production mainsprings, hairsprings, dials and hands were outsourced (also within Britain).
    Last edited by joeuk; February 3rd, 2011 at 09:08.

May have found the location of the factory (Stafford Road, Croydon), and will be researching further.
    Thanks for the info.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You may find this thread useful:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/oth...ng-389211.html

Louis Newmark Ltd., Perfect Works,Stafford Road, Croydon
    Last edited by Marrick; February 3rd, 2011 at 23:52.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Louis Newmark was my great grandfather. I did not meet him though vaguely remember my great grandmother when I was a small child. However I do recall the factory in Croydon run by my great uncles Herbert and Jeffrey, and for a time as a young woman still in her teens (I believe) my grandmother Phyllis worked there before marrying Louis Braham and joining his watch business. Other family working in the business were my Uncle Derrick Braham and my father Dennis Clarke. Close family friends also in the Newmark business for many years were Trixie and Bill Simmons. All persons named have passed away but next year I plan to work on a history of my family, social and business life, necessitating considerable research I expect. If anyone has any info or memorabelia, I will be thrilled to hear about it. Likewise if anyone wants further info from me when I get round to my research, please let me know. Thank you.

bbclarke97,

I have a Newmark watch as well and am planning to get it fixed; if you have access to the company archives - if it still exists - then it would be a valuable resource for collectors and researchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tissotnewbie View Post
    Anyone have any info about the Newmark Watch co? I believe they were a Croydon company, but know little else? Absolutely any info would be helpful. Best regards
    Hi
    I have just bought a Newmark Watch on ebay. It was in a terrible state. I have taken it to pieces and corrected most of someone elses bad reassemblies. The watch is in a chrome plated steel case, about as thin as one could make one. The balance wheel is in a bit of a state and i will try to get it back working.
    Mine is stamped Newmark Made in England BC. with 337 scratched on to the main frame. Its about as basic as a watch could be made. Having said that it looks good in the case, chunky. Dial is surpisingly clean and clear, crystal is yellow tinted which gives it a real old character.
    What did we think we were trying to achieve making watches like this, pityfully poor in build quality compared with the Swiss at the time. hey ho
    I will report later once its going.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

We look forward to some pictures. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info!

Hartmut Richter

Some Newmark advertising with original prices added by hand at the time in good old lsd (pounds shillings and pence) i.e 47/6 = £2-7-6, 2 pounds 7 shillings and 6 pence

John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Thread Information