Info on pocket watch

Thread: Info on pocket watch

Info on pocket watch

Hi

Could someone please give me some info on my pocket watch. It was given to me about 30yrs ago from my granddad. I've kept it in my safe but now i'm getting curious about it. The key has the number 6 on it. The inside of the watch has the number 46998 and it has a 0.955 number on it too.

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info on pocket watch

The pictures could be clearer, the shape of the hallmark inside the caseback looks like the standing bear, which is Swiss for silver purity of 0.875 and above between 1882 and 1934. This particular case being 0.955 is high purity silver, slightly higher than sterling. Without any other markings on the movement it may be difficult to identify it. Age maybe 1880-1900.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Looks like an attempt to mimic the british/american watches designs that were dominating the market. Balance isn't split, so probably not the highest quality movement. Dial is gorgeous though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Erik_H and Ablsomrob

I will try take some better pictures of the watch. I'm very keen to get more info on the watch, so if there is anything specific i should do to give you more info then please tell me.

Lee

To be honest, you probably won't get a lot more unless you're lucky. The makers mark on the case may give you some idea of where the finished watch came from, but the swiss industry in those days was somewhat spread out; generic movements would be made from parts fashioned in cottage workshops, and then finished in other cottage workshops. Only the big names made any real effort to mark their products.

There may be markings underneath the dial (or on the underside of the dial itself) that will assist, but don't try to get at those yourself unless you have the right tools and skill. Since the case is high-grade silver, the dial likely is too, and you don't want to damage that; they're the most valuable parts of this watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information