Info on this Praesent? Help please...

Thread: Info on this Praesent? Help please...

Info on this Praesent? Help please...

Hi everyone,

A friend is trying to find some information on these his and hers Praesent's. Knowing nothing about vintages at all I thought I'd post it here. She's trying to have the watches restored as much as possible as a gift to her parent's 50th wedding anniversary. They bought it when they were still young but left it lying around neglected for some reason.

Hers, top view

Hers caseback:

His front view and caseback:

Original bracelets are long gone but she'd like to have the watches restored to the best degree possible...

Any info, help, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Glimmer
    Glimmer

Fender Telecaster 1957 Re-issue

Re: Info on this Praesent? Help please...

They look like 1950s style watches, manufactured in Switzerland possibly for a US watch chain or distributor who owned the brand name. This was a common practice in the 50s and 60s. The name Praesent doesnt come up in any of the ref books I have.

Cases were both made in Switzerland, the first by Pierre Antoine Nardin in Le Locle and the second one (mens) by Jacques Beiner/Roger Paral SA in St-Imier which leads me to think that the entire watches are Swiss.

They probably have ebauche movements (Like AS for example) and because of that they may well be fully restorable. You need to take them to a proper watchmaker, preferably an older guy who has serviced a range of watches over a long time. He may even have some spare parts laying around.

Cheers

desmond

Agree with desmond about the approximate ages although they could be early 1960s as well. Date indicators are more common in the 1960s.
    They are likely fine movements (we can't tell without a photo) because the cases are solid gold. Watches of this age are usually repairable and in many situations just need a cleaning. Find a good watch repair facility in your area.
    Praesent is Latin for present (up to date, in the moment). I haven't heard of the brand either but it could well be a jeweler's private label.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Desmond/Ray:

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.

Indeed I haven't found anything on Praesent, so it does seem likely that it is a private label...at any rate, if my friend were to have these re-dialled, would that be practical? Are there any "private-label" re-diallers? Perhaps a good cleaning would suffice though.

Thanks
    Glimmer
    Glimmer

Fender Telecaster 1957 Re-issue

Redialling is never recommended here unless the dial is so bad as to be illegible. It makes the watch less collectible and less valuable as a result. Your friend's watch dials look fine. An older watch should look that way, frankly.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information