Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 1 Post By marks55
  • 2 Post By JackW
  • 2 Post By Sdasurrey

Thread: Info request for a Gruen Precision

Banned

Info request for a Gruen Precision

Hey everyone. This is my first venture into the vintage world.

I picked up this Gruen from a forum member, and would like to know if anyone knows anything about it.

There are no date markings anywhere on the case or movement.

The only thing I know about the watch is that it's a hand winding mechanical, 17 jewels.

Here are some photos. Any info (other than what I've read on Wikipedia about Gruen) is much appreciated.

Re: Info request for a Gruen Precision

Hi
    Up to a few years ago, we knew very little about Gruen, thanks to the hard efforts of a few we now know a lot more.

If you post pictures of movement and inside case I can probably date it.
    For more info the 'experts' are on this dedicated forum
    GruenWristwatches home - We're All Gruen, All the Time

Hope that helps
    a
    DexDegeaut likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Gruen.....got to love them, sort of like the VW Beetle of the Watch World. Everyone had one at one time or another, I don't think they were ever really high end, but reliable and good quality.

One of the great watches our Fathers used to own. Wish I had more to add, but it's a nice watch, enjoy it.
    DexDegeaut likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi
    Up to a few years ago, we knew very little about Gruen, thanks to the hard efforts of a few we now know a lot more.

If you post pictures of movement and inside case I can probably date it.
    For more info the 'experts' are on this dedicated forum
    GruenWristwatches home - We're All Gruen, All the Time

Hope that helps
    a
    Thanks for the link. Here are some photos of the movement:

Hi Dex,

Sorry no one ever replied after you went to the trouble of posting images of the watch. I love collecting Gruen; though I'm more focused on the period that predates this watch. Gruen's hey-day was the 1900 through the 1950s. This one is sporting an AS movement; you can see the marking and the AS caliber number just under the balance. Gruen had their own nomenclature and that is on both the main bridge/plate and the inside of the case back. Unfortunately this dates to well after the 1958 point and few collectors are interested in these. AS made good movements but they are in every mid-range watch of that time period. Interestingly, Gruen used AS movements in a "trench-style" watch during the early 1920s but at the same time was using Aegler (aka Rolex) movement in similarly styled contemporaneous watches. Not so much by 1960.

As to whether Gruen ever made great watches, I would posit that the 1910s and well into the 1920s Gruen was leading on both the style and the design edge for both pocket watches and wrist watches in both the US and Europe. Pocket watch case styles, especially the Pentagon was widely copied. Gruen came out with the 50th Anniversary and then suddenly both Hamilton and Elgin had high-end presentation watches with gold trains and gold or platinum cases. The Quadron movements were a match of any highend watch in the late 1920, especially those coming out of the US facilities. Even as late as 1947, Gruen was well ranked by consumer reports as a watch maker. Yes, my opinion but a reasonable one I hope.

Cheers!
    Bazzab and JP71624 like this.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Nothing much to add, Jack W covered it well,
    Some of the Gruen Imports from the 20's and 30' were very high end
    B

Info request for a Gruen Precision

I can't add much on Gruen history or details on your watch, but here's my 'VW' (compliments to marks55) Gruen 'Veri Thin' Precision from the 30s/40s - cheers, SDA

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 22nd, 2014 at 21:01.
    radger and JP71624 like this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

You may want to check this post out!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/inf...ch-944741.html
    Last edited by Bazzab; July 22nd, 2014 at 19:03.

Thread Information