Info Requested: Bulova 10K Gold Rolled Plate L0 1950

Thread: Info Requested: Bulova 10K Gold Rolled Plate L0 1950

cbarcala23

Info Requested: Bulova 10K Gold Rolled Plate L0 1950

Ray,

By the way, which forum should I post to also get an idea of a price for the watches I post?

Written on the Movement:

Bulova Watch Co
    Seventeen 17 Jewels
    Unadjusted
    10BC

Written on outside of back case:
    Bulova
    10k Rolled Gold Plate
    L0

Written on inside of back case:
    NOTHING

Written on band:
    Kreisler Quality
    TOP 14K GF
    Bottom Stainless Steel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info Requested: Bulova 10K Gold Rolled Plate L0 1950

Really I don't know where to suggest other than check eBay for similar pieces to the one you have. We never give valuations here for reasons outlined in our sticky notes. There are also price guides to watches you can buy on amazon.com or look at your local library. Any valuation will be out by 50% or more probably.
    This is a nice handwind by the way. The case lugs are particularly interesting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

cbarcala23

Yep, been checking ebay, googling everywhere like nuts. But you guys have so much great information that I am loving it. I actually got the price guide from Barnes and Noble and went through as much as I could. Alot I could not find. I found it very hard to go find things in the book really. It felt like there are so many variations of watches that I could not find exact matches except for a few cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's the thing about 'second hand' items - there is no absolute value. I've seen massive variations in the final sale price of (virtually) identical watches on ebay. Recently, 2 Certina Argonauts I was watching went for £55 and £205 respectively. And the higher priced one wasn't working! But it was a slightly prettier design.

But you are right, there were many variations within model ranges. Even today, watches are sold with a variety of different case materials, dial designs and features. And with vintage watches there is also the massive factor of condition. So if buying , you have to do your research - not always easy - and determine for yourself what the piece is worth.

If I'm buying, I like to think that I would probably get most of my money back should I decide to sell. Therefore, the price that similar watches have fetched on ebay is a very good guide. Otherwise, what are online dealers asking? Usually double or more than I'd get as a private seller. If selling, a watch that is properly and fully described, with good pictures, and listed for at least a week will usually achieve a fair price on ebay. And the price it sells for is what it what it is worth in the market on that day.

Thanks, Marrick for a very thoughtful post.
    Our members are often surprised when we refuse to give valuations in the Vintage Forum. It's not that we are trying to be stubborn or uncooperative. It's just that over the years we've been doing this we have been unable to find a way to judge condition from photographs. Condition makes up at least 80% of the value of a watch.
    We are glad to give an opinion about whether a watch is worth restoring or not. It rarely is for economic reasons. However as a family heirloom an antique watch is always worth getting an estimate to restore.
    One final comment. Many people think that because a watch is old it's valuable. I'd say 99% of the time it isn't. All the better for those of us who want to collect them, though.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

Here I concur completely with Ray.

Let me expand on it briefly.

Condition is highly critical, and I've seen watches that from one side looked great, from the other side terrible. You simply cannot make any sort of judgment on the value of any watch based on a photo: it wouldn't be fair to either the seller or the buyer.

Further, just because we say $xxx or €yyy doesn't mean that we really know. When, for instance, it becomes necessary to legally determine the value of a watch (inheritance, etc), a court-appointed expert does that. In Germany, these are Master Watchmakers who are chosen by their peer group to act as officially government certified appraisers of watches, and this is a legal title that they may use.

We're here to help people identify their watches and share in the fun. The moment you start putting values on anything, it ceases being that. Neither Ray nor myself will do so, and while others may feel free to speculate, that's all that it is: speculation. If you own a very valuable watch and need to know how much to insure it for, go to an appraiser: that is their job. We're not in that business, nor do we want to be.

It's not that we don't want to: it just isn't fair to anyone. Not to you, not to the seller, not to the buyer, and it'd just be lots and lots of grief for Ray and myself.

Hence we don't do it. That makes our moderating jobs much easier and lets people show their watches, enjoying them, without anyone feeling it necessary to put a value on watches...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thread Information