Info Requested: Bulova 17 Jewels Patent 1927

Thread: Info Requested: Bulova 17 Jewels Patent 1927

cbarcala23

Info Requested: Bulova 17 Jewels Patent 1927

I found a serial Number lookup for Elgin. Anyone know where I can lookup serial numbers for other brands such as Omega, Bulova, Longines?

Written on the Movement:

Bulova Watch Co
    10AN
    17 Seventeen Jewels
    Unadjusted
    Swiss

Written on outside of back case:
    Nothing

Written on inside of back case:
    Bulova Quality
    Pat. Jan 11 1927
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Info Requested: Bulova 17 Jewels Patent 1927

Quote Originally Posted by cbarcala23 View Post
    I found a serial Number lookup for Elgin. Anyone know where I can lookup serial numbers for other brands such as Omega, Bulova, Longines?
    Omega:
    http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/omega_serial_numbers.html

Longines:
    http://thewatchguy.homestead.com/pag...nesserial.html

Hamilton:
    http://thewatchguy.homestead.com/pag...tonserial.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=568128

Tissot:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=568128

I don't think Bulova serial numbers survived...

Your watch looks to be from the 20's or very early 30's... but others will know more.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Bulova datng of that era is done by a symbol method.

Check out the movements section at mybulova.com for the symbol/date table

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This Bulova looks to me to be from the 1930s maybe. It's hands are broken though. They could likely be replaced. The case is definitely an Art Deco which probably predates 1939.
    I can't see the movement clearly enough to make use of the movement symbols table.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

cbarcala23

Thanks for the Symbol tip. I found it, but the symbol matches both the 1930 and 1940 on the website.... Since you mentioned that Art Deco probably predates 1939, sounds like its possibly the 1930 version then. Great info, thanks!

Does the 10AN stand for some kind of model or serial#, or some other coding Bulova uses?

Probably 1930 I should think given that the patent on the case was 1927.
    10AN is the Bulova movement caliber. 10 is the diameter in lignes (1 ligne =2.225 mm), AN is the family of movement. This meant something to Bulova production but less so today.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi all, it's great to see some interest in these vintage Bulova's.

It's also great to see that my site www.mybulova.com is also being used for exactly what I had hoped for when I designed and built it. I also found it hard to come by any descent information about these early Bulova watches and after researching then for a year decided that I had to share and help other Bulova collectors with information and share their own vintage Bulova watch.

Spread the word as the idea is to get as many Bulova watches on the site as I can, so it can help collectors, sellers and buyers identify many of these unknown models that Bulova released.

Bulova themselves do not seem to have an interest in their vintage watches as I've tried a number of times now to contact them about obtaining information or just sharing it. Anything would be better then nothing and Bulova seem to lag behind the other watch manufactures in this regard.

About this particular watch. It is indeed from 1930 and is possibly a "Gladiator" which retailed for $42.50.

The original hands would have been the cathederal style (see http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1930_athlete.jpg as an example).

I have collected just over 200 Bulova movement serial numbers from between 1923 and 1930. Bulova were not like other watch manufactures of that time and their serial numbers really didn't match a release date or sequence. They seem to be all over the place, but what they did you and do well is use a date code symbol. This has made dating these pre 1949 watch pretty simple once you know how.

Anyway, it would be great if more collectors had a Bulova or two in thier collection and better still if they were registered on the www.mybulova.com website.

Cheers

Stephen Ollman

Thanks for your post and we'll refer people seeking info on vintage Bulovas to come have a look at your website.
    I always encourage folks who are starting a collection to consider Bulova as one of their first choices.

Thread Information