Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 4 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 3 Post By thoth

Thread: Info sought on Gotham wrist watch

Info sought on Gotham wrist watch

Although I practically never wear a wrist watch (except for a radio-controlled Casio when I am travelling or in need of accurate time at my wirst for other reasons), this forum got me a bit addicted to vintage wrist watches, which are now also becoming part of my watch collection, besides verge watches and later pocket watches.

I recently acquired this one from the USA and got it through customs yesterday. There is another Gotham and a Wittnauer coming soon.

The watch keeps time very well and has decent readings on the time scale. The seller could tell not very much about it, so my main question is about the age, which should be 1940's or 50's?. It's now getting a new wrist band and perhaps I will occasionally wear it.

Another question is about a gasket. I like these watches, as even a beginner like me can separate the case from the movement for cleaning without having to remove the crown or run into other complications. But it seems they never have a gasket to seal the case.

What worries me a little: The Letters GO do not seem to go well with the rest of the letters THAM -see second image. (@Horologist007: This sentence was added after your post).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Border-Reiver; May 27th, 2015 at 16:56. Reason: sentence added
    bobbee likes this.

Re: Info sought on Gotham wrist watch

Hi Gotham were very famous for their 'drivers' watches.
    These were curved, deeply swivelled lugs and the crown between the lugs.
    This is not a GOTHAM, but the style that GOTHAM produced:

Regards
    adam
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi Gotham were very famous for their 'drivers' watches.
    These were curved, deeply swivelled lugs and the crown between the lugs.
    This is not a GOTHAM, but the style that GOTHAM produced:

Regards
    adam
    Sorry to ask a stupid question: Was the 'drivers-watch' a typing error or was it a watch you gave to your chauffeur for loyal services? I really had no clue about Gotham watches before, and strolling around in search of verge watches, I saw a couple Gotham's I liked and bought, but honestly, I was more thinking of Gotham-City and Batman than anything else... I also fetched a nice Wittnauer, after I've learned that this was a watch very popular amongst pioneers and adventurers. Amelia Earhart still carries her watch around her bony wrist, deep down at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, into which she plunged with her plane on her last voyage around the Earth in 1937. Stay tuned for that one, once I got it through customs in the next days. My wife has however already classified it as a 'pimp-watch' from the pictures she saw, which means 'do not wear this one, when we are out together'.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; May 27th, 2015 at 16:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A "drivers" watch was a true watch (unlike a doctors watch) that was made directly for wearing while driving a car, by fitting the watch on the side of the wrist, directly readable while driving without taking your hands off the wheel.

GOTHAM were on of the first, but many companies of course copied it like mine and JLC and Hamilton (contour)

Regards
    Border-Reiver and busmatt like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    A "drivers" watch was a true watch (unlike a doctors watch) that was made directly for wearing while driving a car, by fitting the watch on the side of the wrist, directly readable while driving without taking your hands off the wheel.

GOTHAM were on of the first, but many companies of course copied it like mine and JLC and Hamilton (contour)

Regards
    Thanks for the info. I added a sentence to the initial post (I've thought to do it there, as the thread is fairly new) regarding the dial.

When, I first saw the thread, my immediate thought was a reworked dial.

The subsequent photo of the open view dial especially the seconds track would also point to a reworked dial.
    but on looking again and again, that may have been the original "cheaply" made dial.

Movement, case as is the import code are genuine original
    Really not sure.
    Adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 27th, 2015 at 17:09.

and
    Adam

Banned

Saw this piece travelling the net. Ca. 1950. I like that it's stainless, unlike the gold typical of the period. Would look good with a Fixoflex too. Fairly priced, fully serviced and ready to wear from Holben's Fine Watches. And a note about the OP concern about the GO in Gotham. This original dial looks to have the similar type GO.
    Name:  gotham6-1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  85.0 KBName:  gotham2-1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  56.0 KB
    Last edited by priamo; April 9th, 2018 at 22:21.

Oh my, I thought it might not hurt to look into this thread as I very much like Gotham watches. What an idiot I've thought, coming up with such a statement in a collector's forum: 'Although I practically never wear a wrist watch (except for a radio-controlled Casio when I am travelling or in need of accurate time at my wirst for other reasons)' ...

... but then I had to realize that it was me who has written this and started this thread three years ago.

It's like seeing an old picture of yours with long hair and bell-bottom cut trousers.

Where is the 'delete button'?

@priamo. Get it, and yes, the GO is correct.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; April 9th, 2018 at 22:24.
    thoth, busmatt, esdy_11192 and 1 others like this.

I regularly look back at things I say and what I buy and go "What is wrong with me....why would I do that?" If anyone does not then there are one of 2 things happening.... First they are never ever wrong and always consistently saying the right thing. Or the second they have such a huge fat head that they always think they are right and refuse to see what they said or did was not as sophisticated as they have become.

I guess the other possibility is that someone never does anything sober so everything always looks right to them...But those people usually hang out on an Invicta forum.
    Border-Reiver, priamo and Mirius like this.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

Thread Information