Info sought on vintage Gallet!

Thread: Info sought on vintage Gallet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info sought on vintage Gallet!

Hello all!

I've been doing some research on vintage pieces to replace a watch that was stolen a while back, and have narrowed it down to a Breitling or Gallet chrono. I came across the following Gallet:

GALLET - CRONOGRAFO vintage originale - OCCASIONE on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 22:24:56 BST)

Apart from the fact that I'd unconvinced it's a 40s watch (I believe it's 50s) there are a few things I was hoping someone could shed some light on!

1) I've seen a very similar piece before, but it had flat, rectangular pushers. Am I right in saying the oval pushers are correct?

2) Don't know enough about the movement - I believe this watch should use the distinctly average Venus 170, but I thought all Venus mvmts were engraved with their ref? This one does not appear to be.

3) The dial and hands look original and in decent, but not "over-restored" or re-dialed condition....

4) The inside case-back puzzles me - the 3 "bits" of writing (incl the odd scribble in the middle that looks like it's been partly polished out) appear to have been etched at different depths, and are poorly aligned. Suspicious?

5) Not sure if anyone is able/allowed to comment on worth/whether this seems like a good deal, but any direction would be massively appreciated! EDIT - as per forum rules, I know there are no comments on valuation as such, but general guidance would be very useful (i.e. is it a rip-off)!

Thanks to all!

Marc
    Last edited by MasterMark; August 26th, 2010 at 13:47.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Info sought on vintage Gallet!

The pushers and crown are similar to other Gallet's I have seen from the late 40's early 50's. The movement is a Venus 170, you can check Dr. Ranfft's database. I have seen similar watches go for the same price.
    Last edited by emmanuelgoldstein; August 26th, 2010 at 13:59.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    The pushers and crown are similar to other Gallet's I have seen from the late 40's early 50's. The movement is a Venus 170, you can check Dr. Ranfft's database. I have seen similar watches go for the same price.
    Thanks for that, very helpful! Dr Ranfft's database really is excellent, I need to use it more.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In a similar vein, any thoughts on this one?

Vintage 1950s Steel Gallet 3 Register Chronograph on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 17:52:41 BST)

From the pic of an old Gallet catalogue attached, the dial certainly looks in order....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only problem with this, that is accurately represented according to my references, is the European price. The late 1940s Gallet here came from fine knowlegable watchmaker including service for less. My other couple of fine 1930 and 40 Lemanias Total $250. However one cost additional $368. for service by same watchmaker. Thus service cost one reason for reluctance of U.S. buyers to pay much for these nice old chronos I really like. Still better than a pretty Omega Speedmaster with an uninteresting generic autowind movement I have that is unreliable but easy to sell for $1000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; August 26th, 2010 at 23:16.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMark View Post
    In a similar vein, any thoughts on this one?

Vintage 1950s Steel Gallet 3 Register Chronograph on eBay (end time 27-Aug-10 17:52:41 BST)

From the pic of an old Gallet catalogue attached, the dial certainly looks in order....
    You can also find those watches on Chrono24 with a few others.

Chrono24 - Search for a wristwatch - Model: Gallet
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Only problem with this that is accurately represented according to my references is the European price.

Sorry artb, I don't follow. Could you please just clarify what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMark View Post
    Sorry artb, I don't follow. Could you please just clarify what you mean?
    You are too quick for my old slow computer. Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    You are too quick for my old slow computer. Try again.
    Gotchya! Thanks for that, very interesting to note. $250 and even $368 sounds remarkably good value.

I contacted the seller of the initial Gallet, and he has offered a price of €590 but won't go lower. Better, but still sounds rather high given your comments. Tough call, especially as the other Gallets I see for sale now (and in the past few months) are on for a higher price (as per the chrono24 link that emmanuelgoldstein helpfully included).

I think You and old world people are more intelligent about these than Americans thus the higher prices and inflation, taxes, various charges only increase. Omega, Rolex, Brietling are terrific merchandisers and fine products but nice looking fakes cheapen their appeal. No body fakes a fine old Gallet or Lemania.

You may want to review rewritten comment. I meant to emphasize service costs as a deterrent to purchase of old chronos. If recently well serviced, I should not be too critical of higher costs.
    Last edited by artb; August 26th, 2010 at 23:25.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information