Info on this vintage Raymond Weil?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Addictedtowatches
  • 2 Post By bobbee
  • 1 Post By Dr.Fu Manchu

Thread: Info on this vintage Raymond Weil?

Question Info on this vintage Raymond Weil?

Just won a lot of 5 watches.
    There was this Raymond Weil and an Accutron that I was interested in.

Is the Raymond Weil a fake or legit?
    Name:  111.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  211.4 KBName:  $_57 (2).JPG
Views: 148
Size:  162.4 KB

And any info on this Accutron? Is it a 218? 242?
    Name:  $_57 (3).JPG
Views: 140
Size:  226.1 KBName:  $_57 (4).JPG
Views: 154
Size:  195.5 KB

Re: Info on this vintage Raymond Weil?

Ok my guess is the RW is legit but not vintage.
    I don't believe the Accutron is a hummer. The date code is 77 which was the last year for tuning forks and it says quartz on the face. Should be easy enough to find out but a movement shot would clear it up.
    Dr.Fu Manchu likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedtowatches View Post
    Ok my guess is the RW is legit but not vintage.
    I don't believe the Accutron is a hummer. The date code is 77 which was the last year for tuning forks and it says quartz on the face. Should be easy enough to find out but a movement shot would clear it up.
    Does the RW look like 80s-ish?

And yeah I think I know what kind of movement it is.
    It reminds me of a Hamilton electric watch.

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  100.3 KBName:  200.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  81.3 KBName:  300.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  107.1 KB
    (Source:Bulova 1977 Accutron Quartz | myBulova.com)

Thanks for the input.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Cool Accutron Quartz running the 242 movement. The button on the side below the crown operates the Accuset function.
    Here are the operating instructions;

Setting Instructions and Synchronizing Electronic ACCUSET Circuit Important: It is necessary to re-synchronize ACCUSET circuit after: A. Installing a Power Cell. B. Servicing the Movement. C. Interruption of Current (e.g. loose contact screw). Setting Instructions Step 1. When sweep second hand of the watch reaches the 60th second mark (12o'clock marker), pull crown out to Position 3 (See Fig. 5,).(Allhands will now stop.) Step 2. Press and release ACCUSET button.(ACCUSETcircuit is now synchronized with position of second hand.) Step 3. Turn hands forward until date changes. (This establishes midnight.) . Step 4. If A.M., advance hands 5 minutes ahead of a time standard being used. Then gently turn the minute hand back to correct time. If P.M., advance the hands past 12o'clock (noon) to 5 minutes ahead of time standard and then gently turn the minute hand back to correct time. Step 5. When time standard being used reaches the 60th second mark (12o'clock marker), push crown to the "intermediate" position (Position 2). All hands will start instantly. Step 6. First set the date, then the day. Crown must remain in Po'sition 2. Slowly turn crown forward to correct date; backward to correct day. Push crown "in" (Position 1). Note: Day Indicator is printed in English and Spanish, or English and French. Set accordingly. Calendar cannot be set manually between 9:00 P.M. and 1:00 A.M. However, the mechanism will not be damaged if crown is accidentally turned during this period of time. Additional Setting Information Once the ACCUSET circuit has been set (Refer to Step 1 and Step 2),there is no need to reset it, unless the power cell has been removed, or there has been an interruption of current. Using the ACCUSET Corrector After a period of time, if the watch is no longer accurate to the exact second, press and release the ACCUSET button the instant the time standard used reaches the 60th second marker. (Maximum correction is + or - 30 seconds.) The sweep second hand of the watch will temporarily stop if it is fast, or accelerate if it is slow until it is in synchronization with the time standard. Important: When the crown is "all the way out" (position 3), motor and all hands stop. The ACCUSET circuit continues to operate and the quartz crystal continues to vibrate, using extremely little current. Store watches with crown in "out" (position 3) to prolong battery life.
    Cool function, here is a 1978 ad (sorry, not your watch!) that calls it "a built-in miniature computer"!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Cool Accutron Quartz running the 242 movement. The button on the side below the crown operates the Accuset function.
    Here are the operating instructions;

Cool function, here is a 1978 ad (sorry, not your watch!) that calls it "a built-in miniature computer"!

Thanks, that's pretty interesting. Does this movement still have the smooth sweep of Accutron?

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

I don't think so Doc, just the plink, plink of a regular quartz. But that was a freaky new feature in the 1970's!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I don't think so Doc, just the plink, plink of a regular quartz. But that was a freaky new feature in the 1970's!
    Bummer, I'll still keep it to add to my Accutron collection though. The person who sold it to me told me it was her father's and it had been to the mountains of Nepal, so I told her instead of using it for parts or re-selling, I'd wear it in his honour. Thanks for the info!
    bobbee likes this.

Thread Information