Info on vintage Zephyr dive watch please!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tagaeri

Thread: Info on vintage Zephyr dive watch please!

Info on vintage Zephyr dive watch please!

Hi Everyone. I've fallen in love with this vintage Swiss dive watch, but can't find any information about it. It's Swiss-made by Zephyr in ~1970. It's got a 25 jewels incabloc automatic movement. Before I hit the buy button, does anyone know anything about this watch or Zephyr? Thanks!

Name:  Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 08.05.35.png
Views: 42
Size:  441.5 KB
    Old Navman and busmatt like this.

Re: Info on vintage Zephyr dive watch please!

The name Zephyr was registered to Elgin National Watch Co. But Elgin stopped manufacture in the US in 1968. At some point in time after that date the rights to the name "Elgin" were bought by MZ Berger Inc., which manufactures its watches in China. Consequently, IF your watch was made in the 70's it would have not been made in the US. However, in the late 50's and 60's Elgin begun to import Swiss watch movements that were finished and labeled as Elgin watches. So I think your watch marked as made in Switzerland could have been made towards the very late 1960's. I'd be curious to see photo of the movement.
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

Many thanks for the interesting information. It's not mine (yet!), but wanted to get some background before pulling the trigger on it. I don't have a photo of the movement, just the back...

Name:  Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 14.06.38.png
Views: 28
Size:  416.3 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An obscure brand, but it's appealing and has several desirable features (20 atm depth rating, all stainless case, roulette date wheel, chamfered lugs). Any photos of the inside? Is that indentation on the upper left lug a dent, or a Portuguese import mark?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    An obscure brand, but it's appealing and has several desirable features (20 atm depth rating, all stainless case, roulette date wheel, chamfered lugs). Any photos of the inside? Is that indentation on the upper left lug a dent, or a Portuguese import mark?
    We'll spotted! It's a Portuguese seller, so I'm guessing it is an import mark as you suggest.

Thread Information