Information about Swiss Trench watch - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Information about Swiss Trench watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Information about English watch

Hi,

I have come across the sponsors mark A.G.R. before.... The AGR initials, with dots in between as this "AGR", are for Arthur George Rendell of 40/42 Clerkenwell Road, London who are recorded as importers of Swiss watches from 1907

I took this info from here: Vintage Watch Straps - Case Marks

As you can see, the one on this site is also referenced to Edinburgh - not London....
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Hi,

I have come across the sponsors mark A.G.R. before.... The AGR initials, with dots in between as this "AGR", are for Arthur George Rendell of 40/42 Clerkenwell Road, London who are recorded as importers of Swiss watches from 1907

I took this info from here: Vintage Watch Straps - Case Marks

As you can see, the one on this site is also referenced to Edinburgh - not London....
    Interesting! Thanks. The site also mentions that it's odd that an importer based in London would use the Edinburgh assay office, but doesn't suggest why. Obviously it happened more than once.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zoetrope View Post
    The site also mentions that it's odd that an importer based in London would use the Edinburgh assay office, but doesn't suggest why. Obviously it happened more than once.
    This was quite commonplace at the time. M&ST for example had their offices in London, but their hallmarked cases show the Glasgow mark. It has been suggested that it was simply down to the fact that the waiting list at the London assay office was much longer so it was quicker to send these up to the other offices. Or perhaps the fees were less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information