Information on a Gruen Tecni-Quadron or "Doctor's Watch"
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Information on a Gruen Tecni-Quadron or "Doctor's Watch"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information on a Gruen Tecni-Quadron or "Doctor's Watch"

I have a Gruen Techni-Quadron in a very unique 14K Green and White gold striped Gruen-Weber case. The dial is original. The Gruen-Weber case is original. The movement is the Aegler "Gruen" 877s which is original. The crown is a yellow gold replacement. If you are not familiar with this watch - it is the twin to the Rolex Prince - Same movement and so on. I am trying to find out if there are any other Gruen-Weber 14K Green and White Gold cased watches like this left. I have found some Rolex Prince models in Yellow and White striped gold. I have found one other Gruen with a Yellow and White Stirped gold case - but no other Green and White Striped gold case. I have been collection for 20 years and this is the only one I have seen. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Information on a Gruen Tecni-Quadron or "Doctor's Watch"

Welcome to Vintage. I doubt that you will find (m)any more like that - most of the others have turned into Rolexes! Since this watch is identical to the "Prince" in every way, it is a favourite for conversion. As if that would make it into a better watch.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to Vintage. I doubt that you will find (m)any more like that - most of the others have turned into Rolexes! Since this watch is identical to the "Prince" in every way, it is a favourite for conversion. As if that would make it into a better watch.....

Hartmut Richter
    100% agreed.
    PS =- OUTSTANDING piece.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Amazing how beautiful some of those old movements were....I have some older Bulova's, Gruen's, and Benrus' not to mention a Hamilton 982 that are stunning in the refinement of the works.....

Nice oldie there...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

STUNNING!

Yes it is.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Great looking piece, and probably unique

This watch is classed as a Gruen Import.

Very little is known about them, they totally made in Switzerland and export over. they show up in the Gruen factory scrapbook, on which Ehrhards "Master Book" is based. There are over 200 watches shown in Import section, of the book , but no details are given.

What is known , when pieces come to market, and that is very rare, that Gruen used their best movements, all the case were made with rectangles openings to take the Quadrons and Techi-Quadrons.

Cases were of exotic materials including Guildlite, Gruens Stainless Steel , new in the 30's, Two Tone Gold, as this one. Enameled cases ,and ones with movable lugs.

Bruce Shawkey, in his Gruens Wristwatches, A collectors Guide says that Gruen wanted to create some "pizzazz", I think they did.

Nobody sure why they were produced ,they dont seem to have been put into production, they could have been samples, but its in the Depression years, and they could have classed as to decedent.

I am sorry , that your watch does not show in the Import Section, others with similar striping do , but not your case style

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Since this watch is identical to the "Prince" in every way,Hartmut Richter
    Although these movements were both made by Aegler, they are similar, but not indentical. The Prince movement seems to be better finished, containing more jewels and adjustments.

It maybe that due to the high tariffs on jewels and adjustments, at the time, Gruen had Aegler, down play their movement?

B

Thank you for your complements. Out of my collection, it is one of my favorites. I decided I wanted one in 1998. I couldn't find one I liked. Then the price went nuts. I found a few that were o.k., but nothing that I really wanted. Then this one appeared. I couldn't let it go.

You and I wrote similar comments… Now, after doing my research, I am quickly coming to the realization that this could be a one of one. This exact case example does not appear in the "Gruen Master Book" or any of the reference books out there. There are similar cases in the import section of the "Gruen Master book", but not this case. There are references to Gruen Yellow and white gold cases, but not striped or green gold. In the Rolex Prince, the cases that are striped gold do not have the same style/shaped case… In addition, there are no references to a Green gold case there as well. This Gruen watch was made just before or at the beginning of the Great Depression. During the Great Depression, many gold watches were melted down for their gold content so families could eat/survive. In 1929, it was a 'new' watch…If you gotta eat, you gotta eat. In the 1980s when gold when nuts, more gold watches were sacrificed for their gold content. If there were any more like it, they could had meet their fate during those purges. Like I say, it is unfortunately looking like this could be a one of one.

You are dialed in..the Rolex Prince movement - reference 300 and Techni-Quadron had the same jewel count - 15 jewels… but the Rolex was adjusted to 6 positions. The Techni-Quadron was adjusted to 4 positions. That is the difference I could find.

The Gruen Techni-Quadrons that were turned into Rolexes, what do they do about the Gruen Guild struck movement and the Gruen-Weber struck case back? Did that just do a redial and call it a Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzab View Post
    Great looking piece, and probably unique

they show up in the Gruen factory scrapbook, on which Ehrhards "Master Book" is based.

B
    Where is the Gruen Factory Scrap book? Where can someone see this grand item? I have two Ehrhards "Master Book" but would like to see the original Scrap Book.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruen_Curvex View Post
    the Rolex Prince movement - reference 300 and Techni-Quadron had the same jewel count - 15 jewels… but the Rolex was adjusted to 6 positions.
    The Rolex 300 is 18 jewel

B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information