Information on Rado Companion?

Thread: Information on Rado Companion?

Information on Rado Companion?

Hi there i've stumbled upon this forum seeking information on a few watches that my father has had in storage. In particular, there is this Rado Companion that is still moving even though it is not in the best condition.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the authenticity of this watch, its history and steps that I could do to jazz it up slightly (DIY)? What sort of cost would be incurred to get this professionally refurbished? (crystal replacement, servicing of the movement). THere seems to be a bit of deterioration on the face of the watch esp near the hour marks. The anchor moves if shaken but it is no where smooth suggesting there might be no more oil

Thanks in advance!

Re: Information on Rado Companion?

This watch came from the early days of Automatics (17 jewels) - 1960s probably maybe 70s. It was an above average, even premium watch at the time.

My guess on prices (varies by 50% depending on...) $150 for a service, $40 for a crystal, $40 for a polish and clean of the case and bracelet. You would then have a very nice watch which would cost $500-1,000 or more to replace new (but you would never be able to sell this watch for $1K...).

I hope that helps.... and Welcome!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement seems to be an ETA Cal. 2878:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2878

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the quick replies Eeeb and Hartmut. Is it adviseable to send it to RADO authorized service centres? (In Aus only seems to be swatch centres)

Banned

No, any competent REAL watchmaker can do it.
    And, please, do not wind the watch untill you have it servised. As you say, the oils have possibly dried out, and the movement will get seriously damaged.... Think running a car engine withour sufficient amount of oil......

Thread Information