Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By john87300

Thread: Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update

Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update

The latest of my Ultra gang arrived this morning, an Ultra "Racing". This is the first Ultra "brand" I've come across other than those using the usual calibre spec, (41, 602, 904) or those marked as "Superautomatic" or "Auto Calendrier". Also, this is the first actual Ultra I've come across not using an Ultra in-house movement, using a 17 jewel Parennin HP 60 instead.

Andreas at Mikrolisk shows C.I.H. as an Ultra brand, but I'm not so sure, as it probably stands for "Compagnie Industrielle Horlogere", which in the context of advertising, which courtesy of Cellar I've actually seen, just means "watch making company".

Ultra Racing

mike184 likes this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Re: Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update

Congrats on your recent arrival!

Has some nice details... love the hand shapes... very sleek!

Also, is the dial textured in some way?

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update

That's really nice. Ultra cool.Name:  cool2.gif
Views: 215
Size:  48.8 KB

Congrats.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Congrats on your recent arrival!

Has some nice details... love the hand shapes... very sleek!

Also, is the dial textured in some way?

Marc
    Thanks Marc,

Although I'm keen to get examples of as many long gone French brands as possible I only go after ones I'll actually wear, and the older I get the less I like some of the more "garish" French output of the 70's and the more I like the 40's to 60's concepts. So a great number of my collection although not in any sense "military" watches, have the general utilitarian look of watches made to tell the time and not as some sort of fashion statement.

The Racing is rather different, an understated "fashion" watch of it's time, and none the worse for that, and it reminds me a little of the quote in your signature.

It has a lightly textured face, as best as I can describe it a little like a random acid droplet etching/beaten metal effect, which compliments the hands rather nicely I think.

have a good weekend
    John

Rolling eyes Re: Information regarding French Ultra, Altitude and Mirus brands - Ultra update

Name:  100_2352.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  73.7 KBName:  100_2353.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  72.4 KBI have been searching for information on "ultra" pocket watches from the early 1900's . Found out the Cie was in Besançon. Have not been able to get much info regarding their pre-1940s watches. The one I have was my grand-pa's pocket watch, unfortunately I lost the chain years ago .
    Any info with an idea of value would be great. Thanks

For more information see here : Ultra
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gerardbrbr View Post
    Any info with an idea of value would be great. Thanks
    We don't do valuations in here - see stickies - but its fair to say that your watch would not sell for very much at all. Pocket watches from comparatively obscure European companies are not widely collected. But its a family heirloom - so priceless.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information