Information Request Please

Thread: Information Request Please

Information Request Please

Hello Guys,

I am getting in contact with you knowledgeable people to see if you can offer me a little assistance. I have a pocket watch I inherited from my Grandfather that is marked Jones & Company, Worcester. From trying to google this, the closest I can find to any association is your Kays, Jones and Co but they dissolved at the turn of the 20th century and so wondered if there was any way that any of you could fill me in on any information regarding this watch.

I have taken some photos of it and to show its markings and hopefully that can help but there is also some very small scratched in symbols as if someone was signing it but I can't make them out. It also has a chain and keys attached to it.

I hope you can shed some light on it but if not thank you anyway.

Please see attached pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Information Request Please

Looks like a Watham Adams St. If the serial is 588072 then it was made in 1872. 11 jewel 18 size open face model 1870 key wind key set. 14,408 made between the years 1870 to 1876.

Hi, Thank you for the assistance but the watch clearly says 'Jones & Company, Worcester. Matchless' inside. I have done a little research but as I said there is nothing about Jones & Company after the dissolution of Kay, Jones & Company on the internet.

Also if anyone has any knowledge of what it is made of and what value it may have and its chain and keys then I would love to know.

I have attached a picture of the maker engraving.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Thread moved to the more suitable forum.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Which forum?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

This one: Vintage and Pocket Watches.

I know little of English pocket watches of the 19th century but this is obviously one of them. They generally have a good reputation but tend to be a little fatter than their Swiss counterparts.

Hartmut Richter

I understand that the case can say something different then the maker. One answer will help a lot. Does the case have English silver hallmarks?

If yes then the swiss made mark on the case means the movement was Swiss made and the case is English and retailed by the name listed in it.
    If no then the movement is either a Swiss fake of a Waltham grade 1870 or a real Waltham grade 1870. I have added a picture of a grade 1870 for you to see how the two stack up in design.

The name on the case can either be a watch maker or a retailer who put sourced movements into sourced cases. If a watch says Tiffany and Co did Tiffany make the watch? Private label watches were common in the 1800's. When I lived in the UK Waltham was the most common American pocket watch to be found. Usually a 7 jewel 16 size Traveller in a 9ct Dennison case though. I did buy a key wind key set Walthem in a sterling hallmarked English case while there but again it only had 11 jewels and was a 14 size.

Thread Information