Information on Vintage Ulysse Nardin Chronometer Co. watch
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Information on Vintage Ulysse Nardin Chronometer Co. watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information on Vintage Ulysse Nardin Chronometer Co. watch

Hi all,

I was recently following this vintage UN watch on the bay.

I am asking because I have seen both "Ulysse Nardin Chronometer Co." and "Ulysse Nardin" with the Anchor logos on dials.Were there two variations used according to countries where they were sold?Seems like it got sold for cheap at 250 odd especially with a 10k gold-fill (I missed out because I forgot about it at the last moment) or am I missing anything?Sorry no movement pics as the poster did not post them.

My questions:

Is the dial legit?

Are UN from the 40-50s desirable especially with respect with the movements they used?Was this a bargain I missed with respect to the whole package(Please please say no)

What does the "L" stand in the "10K.G.-L-filled"?

Attaching pics below for your opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Information on Vintage Ulysse Nardin Chronometer Co. watch

I think You are lucky You missed it :) Looks like a piece of a wreck
    And those old ulysses are nothing special as I remember
    Last edited by laikrodukas; July 30th, 2015 at 09:56.
    WATCH-er likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Generally speaking, the UN movements found in their time only watches were not especially good. The best and most attractive, in my view, was the FHF (Fontainemelon) based cal. 262. Here is a photo of mine, which is a particularly well finished version.

It is worth noting that UN chronographs and pocket watches are a very different matter, and are often top-class.

Regards,

Tony C.

Last edited by Tony C.; July 30th, 2015 at 11:41.
    WATCH-er likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Indeed, the movements used by UN back then weren't anything special. They were of course generic, but still were of very high standard in terms of finish.
    Chronographs weren't really that different- Valjoux 22, if I remember correctly. Though a V22 from a UN looks way above most V22s found in watches of other brands.
    If I were to compare the UN watches from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s to any other brand, that other brand would be Girard-Perregaux. Similar story- generic movements or their GP-modified versions (e.g. the 39-jewel Gyromatic movements), built to a higher standard.
    Also, the Bidynators used by UN were definitely finished better than the average Bidynator.
    Before that, indeed UN has a record of making excellent PWs. Quite some time ago on this forum there was a movement of a UN PW, which at first glance was a key wind and set piece, but had a "hidden" remontoir (stem wind) system.
    The truth is, that contemporary UN watches are entirely different from what this company used to make in the period the watch posted by the OP was made in.
    Vintage UN sell for quite a lot of money, since the prices of new UN watches are often used as a justification for the prices of vintage pieces. Not something that I could ever possibly agree with, but it's hard to ignore consumer brand loyalty that is the factor behind the prices of vintage UN...
    WATCH-er likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Indeed, the movements used by UN back then ......but it's hard to ignore consumer brand loyalty that is the factor behind the prices of vintage UN...
    A striking characterisation of the facts.

Of course even UN watches with generic movements deceive a certain brand premium due to the enhanced finish, and occasional modifications, not realised by other makers. But the actual market prices have lost the relation to the (limited) historical and technical importance of these watches.

Moreover the fact that generic movements were made up, encourages people to produce fakes in huge quantities, and I would advise every newbie not to touch UN watches, disregading authenticy. One can well buy pocket watches and the famous marine chronometers of this brand, but wristwatches? - never.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Moreover the fact that generic movements were made up, encourages people to produce fakes in huge quantities, and I would advise every newbie not to touch UN watches, disregading authenticy. One can well buy pocket watches and the famous marine chronometers of this brand, but wristwatches? - never.
    +1000. Indeed UN is one of the most often faked brands- I believe that in terms of counterfeit vintage watches out there UN is in the same league as Breitling and Baume & Mercier (if we are talking only of brands which used mainly generic movements). For a newbie UN is indeed something not even to be considered.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    Generally speaking, the UN movements found in their time only watches were not especially good. The best and most attractive, in my view, was the FHF (Fontainemelon) based cal. 262. Here is a photo of mine, which is a particularly well finished version.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Indeed, the movements used by UN back then weren't anything special. They were of course generic, but still were of very high standard in terms of finish.

Vintage UN sell for quite a lot of money, since the prices of new UN watches are often used as a justification for the prices of vintage pieces. Not something that I could ever possibly agree with, but it's hard to ignore consumer brand loyalty that is the factor behind the prices of vintage UN...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi there,

A striking characterisation of the facts.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Talking of vintage UNs, is the watch below also sporting a generic movement?Would this be what all of you are calling nicely finished since this looks similar to the FHF movement posted above?

What about the dial?Is it legit or is an old re-dial?The fonts(both the dial and the UN etching on the movement) look too shaky and somewhat faded.

Would such an example in 14k gold be possible for around 500 usd?I am looking for something in that range with absolute originality and a nice movement to boot.Posting pics below.

Last edited by WATCH-er; July 30th, 2015 at 19:48.

The movement and the one Tony posted are not "similar". They're the same thing. As to the dial, I really don't pretend to know if it is original or a redial. The font does look shaky, but it might be just the fading of paint that causes this effect. You can see that this happened to the numbers 1-4. If it's a redial, then it's a really old one.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

So UN mostly used FHF movements for steel and their gold watches alike?I always thought gold pieces would qualify as high end and would therefore, deserve if not a different movement in those days, a different level of finish.

Quote Originally Posted by WATCH-er View Post
    So UN mostly used FHF movements for steel and their gold watches alike?I always thought gold pieces would qualify as high end and would therefore, deserve if not a different movement in those days, a different level of finish.
    I'm a total newb here, but gold used to be MUCH MUCH cheaper in those days. Here's a chart adjusted for inflation, so the numbers you're looking at are comparable to each other: Historical Gold Prices - 100 Year Chart | MacroTrends
    WATCH-er and laikrodukas like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information