Information wanted on watch, PLEASE help.

Thread: Information wanted on watch, PLEASE help.

Information wanted on watch, PLEASE help.

My Mom recently passed and when going through her stuff I found a watch that caught my eye. I've shown it to a few people and they always tell me how different it is and it looks older. If you know anything about it, please let me know!

Rhapsody Royal
    17 Jewels

It looks to be coated in gold. The watch itself it a circle on a square background. The band almost looks like 3 gold ropes. I'm new to this and cannot figure out how to post pictures. Thanks so much for you help.

Re: Information wanted on watch, PLEASE help.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    My Mom recently passed and when going through her stuff I found a watch that caught my eye. I've shown it to a few people and they always tell me how different it is and it looks older. If you know anything about it, please let me know!

Rhapsody Royal
    17 Jewels

It looks to be coated in gold. The watch itself it a circle on a square background. The band almost looks like 3 gold ropes. I'm new to this and cannot figure out how to post pictures. Thanks so much for you help.
    I have not heard of that brand, but there were many small watch companies during the 1950's and 1960's that operated for less than a decade. Some clear close-up pictures of the watch would help. Sometimes the back will show precious metal content with something like: RG, 14K, .5825, 14k plated, etc.
    Last edited by John MS; September 17th, 2010 at 19:03.

Banned

Unfortunately, the monetary value is very low, unless it is of solid Gold.
    The value lies in that it belonged to your Mother.
    Have it serviced and wear it!

You can check out Ebay for similar watches, and you will see the approx value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I have not heard of that brand, but there were many small watch companies during the 1950's and 1960's that operated for less than a decade. Some clear close-up pictures of the watch would help. Sometimes the back will show precious metal content with something like: RG, 14K, .5825, 14k plated, etc.
    I hadn't notice that before, it says "base metal" on the back. I just figured out how to post pictures. Here you go & thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Art deco look and the fact it's a 17 jewel movement would date it probably to the 1940s. It's pretty hard to give an accurate date without a serial number and women's watches are rather timeless in their design. I'm going to move this over to Vintage for more opinions.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Art deco look and the fact it's a 17 jewel movement would date it probably to the 1940s. It's pretty hard to give an accurate date without a serial number and women's watches are rather timeless in their design. I'm going to move this over to Vintage for more opinions.
    Thank you so much for the information!

Hi.

An interesting design. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about the brand in any of the usual places. Perhaps someone else can help, but I suspect its unlikely.

The best I could get on 'Rhapsody' - without the Royal - was this snippet from 'The Trademark Reporter' of 1966:

"Applicant seeks to register RHAPSODY for bracelets and watch bands but is refused on ground of possible confusion with registration for watches issued to Bulova. Record shows clearly that RHAPSODY is one of applicant's model ..."

see Google

But this may be irrelevant. Welcome to our world.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I hadn't notice that before, it says "base metal" on the back. I just figured out how to post pictures. Here you go & thanks!
    Hi. The rope bracelet, gold dial with roman numerals and fancy knobbed case make me think 1960's.
    Last edited by John MS; September 17th, 2010 at 21:38.

The value of the watch will be more sentimental, than intrinsic, for the reasons listed by the previous posters. A lot of these watches weren't worn much so a simple service is all that is needed. Worst case, the whole movement can be replaced rather inexpensively, the service is the main cost. If you like it as a piece of jewelery ,that can also tell you the time, getting it to run is very doable. It's impossible to value the link to your mom, an alternative is to do nothing, and just have it as a keepsake.

Any chance that's a Royal London watch and that the model is Rhapsody?

Thread Information