Ingersoll

Thread: Ingersoll

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Teo

Question Ingersoll

Hello everyone.
    I recently bought an Ingersoll wristwatch in a flea market in London. I've tried to find out more about it on the net but nothing has appeared. It has "Ingersoll", "7 jewel lever" and "shockproof" on the dial and in the lower part, in really small letters the word "foreign". Apart from "seven 7 jewels" it doesn't have any marks on the movement.
    The case is golden, no marks, and the back has the words "ANTIMAGNETIC WATERPROTECTED STAINLESS STEEL BACK" and "GL 726 G" engraved on it.
    I know it is a very simple and cheap watch, but I'd like to know more about it.
    Thank you very much for your help

Re: Ingersoll

We'd need to see pictures of the case dial and movement to attempt an identification. Some Ingersoll watches marked foreign were made by Junghans.
    With shockproof and waterprotected, I am sure we are looking at a watch from the 1950s at the earliest.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I'm not much of wrist watch guy ,but as Ray said photo graphs would really help and maybe some one here can help
    Rob31

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Teo

Hi and thanks for the help. Here I have a picture of the watch. I'll try to post another of the caliber

Looks like 1950s for sure.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

That's definitely a British Ingersoll ('Foreign' was a typically British marking), and the style looks 1950s, which makes it a bit a of a mystery, as BI had the capacity to build all their watches in Britain at that time. I look forward to seeing a movement shot.

Teo

Thanks for the info, but the more you folks tell me, the more I want to know.
    I've made this shot of the inside.

I hope it is good enoug to date it.
    :thanks, :thanks and :thanks again,
    Teo

It's not a movement that I'm familiar with; it looks Swiss to me, but it may be German. The reason I say this is that I don't recall a Swiss movement watch for the British market ever getting the 'Foreign' treatment, which was reserved for Germany and the USSR i.e. where country-of-origin might adversely affect sales. When I get time, I'll have a look on Ranfft anf Lorenz's on-line databases.

This movement has jewels only in the escapement, but looks like it could easily be upgraded. Or to put it another way, it looks like a 16/17 jewel movement that has been built down to a price; which would suit Ingrsoll perfectly.

The next question is why import this watch from the continent, when Ingersoll were already selling the very similar Ingersoll Triumph 5 jewel wristwatch, made by Anglo-Celtic at Ystradgynlais? It's those magic words: "7 Jewel Lever'. Evidently the average British buyer in those days knew that a jewelled-lever watch was better than the cheap sort (i.e. pin-lever), and for that they would be willing to buy a 'foreign' watch.

When you look at the likes of Ingersoll, Smiths, Newmark etc in those days, it is amazing how narrowly the price-points were defined at the lowest end of the market e.g. no-jewels, jewelled, jewelled lever, fully jewelled lever etc. It certainly shows the austerity of the times.

Teo

Thanks Chascomm, I appreciate it!

OK, so I was wrong about it not being Swiss. Take a look at this Langendorf cal 1065:

from Marrick's Larex Luxury https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=200844

The family likeness is unmistakable, although the Ingersoll is significantly simplified. It seems like Langendorf was running a parallel production line for low-grade ebauches. Maybe the Swiss experts here can comment on that.

So again we return to the 'Foreign' inscription. Was 'Swiss' reserved only for the good Swiss products and the rest were 'Foreign'? Or did Ingersoll have a partner in Germany finishing Swiss movements and casing them up for the UK market?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information