Ingersoll Cartoon theme'd pocket watch

Thread: Ingersoll Cartoon theme'd pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ingersoll Cartoon theme'd pocket watch

When I was a very young boy- first day of school grade 1, my parents gave me a Micky Mouse watch, it was a ripper with a cloth band that was stripped blue white and red. Micky's arms were the watch's hands and his white gloves happily pointed the time out for you. At assembly they put us in our age groups and another boy my age came to stand beside me- he noticed my watch. "You got Micky!" he'd screamed, "I'll swap ya? I got lousy Pluto!" his band was Yellow and brown stripes and Pluto looked more like he was in pain than he was trying to tell you the time- something about the position he was in, I felt sorry for the other boy but I was not about to swap Micky for Pluto!
    Anyone old enough may remember "EAGLE" a sort of comic and puzzel's and articles hard bound magazine, it was around in the 50's 60's and finished up about the very early 70ies (I prefered WHOOPIE another British publication that was just the funny stuff- MAD the US magazine sort of took it over here in Oz)
    Well DAN DARE was in there from the first edition. This watch made in UK has him shooting a Dinosaure with his stunn gun on every beat and his rocket spins around in the seconds chapter at 6. The watch is mint I swapped a reasonably new Seiko 100 Sports for it, from the 1 and only previous owner, he'd had it in his bedside draw since he was a boy!
    How about some other THEME watches? Surely some one has one? I bet there is at least 1 Pluto watch out there in as new condition sitting in someones bedside draw!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ingersoll Cartoon theme'd pocket watch

My only cartoon watch is a Mickey from Bradley Time. I say "My", but I'm really just holding for my daughter till she's old enough to want to wear it.

More details on my site: http://www.abslomrob.com/#/bradley-mickey-mouse-eb-8800
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Choice AbsolomRob! I hear the very original Micky Mouse watches from the 40ies are very collectable. Yours is from the 70ies?
    Bradley made a lot of character watches, I have one of those Parking meter style Bradley watches with it's original box.
    (Your Avatar- AbsolomRob- brings back memories, I was an extra on the Ray Leotta film "Escape from Absolom" it was one of those adventures in life you remember forever.)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by can't find the time View Post
    When I was a very young boy- first day of school grade 1, my parents gave me a Micky Mouse watch, it was a ripper with a cloth band that was stripped blue white and red. Micky's arms were the watch's hands and his white gloves happily pointed the time out for you. At assembly they put us in our age groups and another boy my age came to stand beside me- he noticed my watch. "You got Micky!" he'd screamed, "I'll swap ya? I got lousy Pluto!" his band was Yellow and brown stripes and Pluto looked more like he was in pain than he was trying to tell you the time- something about the position he was in, I felt sorry for the other boy but I was not about to swap Micky for Pluto!
    Anyone old enough may remember "EAGLE" a sort of comic and puzzel's and articles hard bound magazine, it was around in the 50's 60's and finished up about the very early 70ies (I prefered WHOOPIE another British publication that was just the funny stuff- MAD the US magazine sort of took it over here in Oz)
    Well DAN DARE was in there from the first edition. This watch made in UK has him shooting a Dinosaure with his stunn gun on every beat and his rocket spins around in the seconds chapter at 6. The watch is mint I swapped a reasonably new Seiko 100 Sports for it, from the 1 and only previous owner, he'd had it in his bedside draw since he was a boy!
    How about some other THEME watches? Surely some one has one? I bet there is at least 1 Pluto watch out there in as new condition sitting in someones bedside draw!
    It's good to be able to trace the history of one of these 'cartoon dial' Anglo-Celtic (Ingersoll and Smiths) pocket watches, especially as ebay seems to be filling up with modern reproductions pasted over the plain dial versions.

The sad thing is that Frank Hampson got nothing from any of the Dan Dare merchandise.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I've heard of that film, but that wasn't the inspiration for my screen name. That comes from an obscure Dr. Who character, Abslom Daak. Yeah, Bradley didn't start making Disney watches until the 70's, although they were doing other characters earlier then that.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Great thread. Cartoon and character watches is an interesting field of collecting watches, related to but getting more collector focus than dollar watches. That Dan Dare watch with its action arm seems to be a sought after item. Common for all is that value will be doubled if you have the original box. As Chascomm says, one should beware of modern reproductions.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Unfortunately I do not have the box for the Dan Dare- but there is a very special feature to the case, it is engraved with the EAGLE magazine logo, I think all round it would be a difficult model for the faker's to copy.
    You know it is funny but many cartoon watches have passed me by and I have had no interest at all- (I don't like cheap movements) but this one was in such good condition and it reminded me of my bedside clock when I was a Kid- it had a Hen eating corn the same way dan shoots his stun gun. I kind of regret now not picking up some of the others- I suppose not every watch has to have a high end movement- if they were only for kids especially.
    (Abslom Daak from Dr Who- what episode was that? I have watched Dr Who all my life, Give me a hint,- I didn't think they had Dr Who in the US?)

The Timex Museum (Timexpo) had a whole section devoted to character watches from Timex, Ingersol, Westclock....many more than just the Mickey Mouse ones.....

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Correct me if I am wrong -Please, but Ingersol and Westclock became or were bought out by Timex? I have a lot of Timex from "Great Brittan", it seems Bradley in US and Timex in UK took over Character watches till Hong Kong gave it a go.

Westclox (General Time Ltd) had a factory in Dumbarton, while Timex (United States Time Corporation) had a factory in Dundee. Both in Scotland. Timex had purchased the Waterbury Clock Company

http://clockhistory.com/westclox/com...and/index.html

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

Ingersoll had bought the old Waterbury factory. Later, Ingersoll went bankrupt and Waterbury bought Ingersoll, but it became independent in the UK as a British owned brand in 1930, whilst still owned by Waterbury in the USA. All a bit confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Group_USA
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information