Inherited this 1950s Vintage Omega Seamaster...

Thread: Inherited this 1950s Vintage Omega Seamaster...

Inherited this 1950s Vintage Omega Seamaster...

It belonged to my grandfather, and I'd like to hand it down eventually as well. What should my next step be? Its still functional, although I haven't had a chance to check the accuracy. I was planning to take it to a local watchmaker to remove the caseback for a more exact identification. I'd like to have it thoroughly checked out, cleaned up, crystal replaced, etc. Should I just stick with a local qualified watchmaker, send it to an expert, or back to Omega? Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the poor picture quality..
    Name:  DSCF0884.JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  485.4 KBName:  DSCF0885.JPG
Views: 1362
Size:  473.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Inherited this 1950s Vintage Omega Seamaster...

Parker27,

First of all, welcome to WUS, and I have to say it's a great family heirloom, and you must be happy to be its custodian for your generation.

I think it is reasonable to assume that this watch has not been serviced for a long while, so I would advise against using it: the lubricants inside would probably be too far gone so you might have a chance to run it into the ground, so to speak. Think about getting a vintage car and then drive it daily without a service and oil change: not a very good idea!

I cannot tell how competent your local watchmaker is, and how much he charges for a full service, assuming there is a local watchmaker you can use, and I don't mean a jeweler either. It would be better to deal with someone on a face-to-face basis, rather than sending it off, but I guess it is not practical if you do not have a local watchmaker. Generally speaking, most watchmakers are willing to work on Omegas, so there should not be a big problem, and obviates the need to send it back to Omega, I feel. A new crystal should be relatively easy to do, and how far you want to go regarding the case is really up to you. It is a most worthy project, I wish you the best of luck with it.

I agree.. any local watchmaker should be able to clean your watch. If you don't mind telling folks where you live, someone may be able to suggest a competent repairman in your area.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From my understanding sending to Omega is both VERY expensive and takes a VERY long time. Although the end result is almost mint condition.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

Thank you for the welcome and for the suggestions. Any good recommendations for a particular Washington DC area/Maryland watchmaker for servicing this watch?

Hi & welcome to WUS

That's a very nice watch you have there

I'd definitely recommend finding a local watchmaker.....there MUST be several around your area, and hopefully someone will be able to point you towards a good one?!!

Hopefully, the movement just needs a good clean and re-oiling, and not anything repairing, other than that, a new crystal and a bit of a case polish and it should come up looking really good!!

Looking forward to the pictures once it's done

very good watch you have here, nesbit is the place I would recommend to have your watch restored
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Thread Information