Inherited 4 pocket watches Help Identify? value?

Thread: Inherited 4 pocket watches Help Identify? value?

Inherited 4 pocket watches Help Identify? value?

Hi,
    So, there were 16 pocket watches, everyone drew pieces of paper with a number and then got the watches that matched the number. These are the four I got from the estate.
    I have tried to educate myself, But could really use some help with identity and valuations. Thank you in advance. Jeff
    Name:  DSCF5006.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  85.3 KB
    Please see my link to High_Def Pictures also. Pocket watchs - Imgur

1. Illinois watch works fine when wound. Not confident to get movement out to look at it.. Need to read forums for instructions.
    2. Walthamalso keeps time when wound. Not confident to get movement out to look at it.. Need to read forums for instructions
    3. M. J. Tobias and Company with the ships on the front. I have not messed with putting a key in, although I have the keys,
    4. Jules Huguenin Locle Missing the second hand, 18 Carat gold though..

Re: Inherited 4 pocket watches Help Identify? value?

Hi.

I don't collect pocket watches so I'll leave the information giving for those that do, but please note that we do not give valuations in this forum.

The case backs may simply unscrew, or if hinged, may be opened with thumbnail. Just don't force anything.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The Illinois looks VERY promising-I'd guess it's probably a Bunn Special based on the dial, but we can't say for sure without seeing the backs off of them.

The Waltham looks almost as promising, and I'd guess it to be a Crescent St. or Vanguard.

The other two don't look to be anything too exciting, but definitely worth a look.

As said above, the back probably screw off on the Illinois and the Waltham. The other two probably have hinged backs.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

M.I. Tobias & co. are swiss made watches from between 1805 to 1868 and i'd agree that the waltham and illinos looklike they mightbe railroad grade watches.

Re: Inherited 4 pocket watches Help Identify? 7 now!!!

I have posted some more pictures of the Illinois Bunn Special on the picture site
    Pocket watchs - Imgur
    I now have 3 more watches found in a box today, two womens and another Pocket watch? it says Elgin Napoleon 10 jewels I have posted pictures of that as well. Thank you,
    The Waltham front comes off and then there is a hinge at the bottom, I am not trying to force it, but it will not budge..

your bunn special looks great. it's from 1923

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

On the Waltham-you'll need to click the stem out first, and the movement should then freely swing out of the case.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information