Inherited Lucien Piccard Ladies Watch! Looking for more information...

Thread: Inherited Lucien Piccard Ladies Watch! Looking for more information...

Inherited Lucien Piccard Ladies Watch! Looking for more information...

Hello! I have only a slight familiarity with watches, but I just inherited a Lucien Piccard watch (or so I believe it to be). I was told it would have been owned by my great aunt in the 20's or 30's, but I'm not completely certain, as that information is passed down family lore.

I have some photos of the watch, and I'd love to see if anyone has more information about this particular watch, Lucien Piccard, and if there are indicators of whether or not it is authentic. I only worry about the authenticity because the brand shown on the watch reads "Lucien Picard" with only one "c". However, the gold looks and feels authentic (I work in jewelry) and the red stones are almost certainly natural rubies. I need to check the clear stones on the hinged cover for stone-type, but they *may* be diamond. However, if they are diamond, they are an older less brilliant cut than the more modern rounds. The back of the case only reads "14K"

Name:  watch.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  4.4 KBName:  IMAG0091.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  127.3 KBName:  IMAG0093.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  129.1 KBName:  IMAG0088.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  87.3 KB

If anyone has any more thoughts/information on this particular watch, Lucien Piccard, and indicators of authenticity, that would be great! I'm particularly concerned about the spelling of Piccard's last name with only one c.
    Thanks!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Inherited Lucien Piccard Ladies Watch! Looking for more information...

Welcome to Watchuseek. Dioes the dial read "Lucien Picard" or just "Picard"? There were actually several "Picards" in the Swiss watchmaking industry (James Picard, R. Picard of Invicta plus others) If it does read "Lucien Piccard", I would think that it is strongly indicative of a fake. The a) overall quality and b) ease with which it could be identified as a fake would depend on the movement inside compared to the movements LP was using (they may well be similar since LP didn't to my knowledge use their own movements).

Hartmut Richter

It read Lucien Picard, but I've found that all of the additional research I've done on the 14k gold pieces with ruby and diamond accents that are sold as Lucien Piccard... well, the other watches that are remotely similar also seem to read "Lucien Picard" and have the same 14K stamp on the back. It seems like possibly some of his earliest watches might have had a different spelling on them? The crystal is very consistent in shape and thickness with his earliest watches.

These were the most similar ones I found :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-5000...item416475ca55

http://www.rubylane.com/item/510967-...-14K-Rose-Gold

If I wanted to have someone take a look at the movement, where exactly would I want to go? A watch-maker, an estate jewelry store, etc? :) This watch hasn't been serviced for at least 25 years, and I'm not comfortable taking the back off myself.
    Last edited by emmysweet; April 22nd, 2012 at 22:18.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If the gold meets the acid test, the watch is genuine. No one fakes a watch when the jewelry aspect is so expensive. Inside will be a quality movement made by a movement house. It might be marked but may not be...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Why is the picture of the face blurred and the rest clear?

Thread Information