• 2 Post By anzac1957
  • 2 Post By Marrick
  • 5 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By jackruff
  • 4 Post By TradeKraft

Thread: Inherited Vintage Longine - Small Second

Inherited Vintage Longine - Small Second

Hello All,

My wife inherited this antique small-second Longine from her Great-Grandfather who passed.

It's my understanding he bought it before being deployed during WWII and it holds a lot of sentimental value to her.

Due to its small size I'd like to have it refurbished so she can use it, but I'm assuming it'll be a decent investment since the crystal is broken, the case is heavily worn, and the movement needs servicing.

My question is: what is the value of these vintage Longines? Is a certain level of patina considered a benefit? If the sentimentality was removed would this be considered a sound investment?

Thanks in advance for any information.
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Re: Inherited Vintage Longine - Small Second

No.

I suspect if you took that to a good watchmaker, had the crystal replaced, case buffed, and movement serviced and then put it on a nice leather strap it would be quite wearable by your wife..
    busmatt and TradeKraft like this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Financially, it wouldn't make sense to spend much on the watch. The dial is in good condition and should be left untouched - and the case isn't too bad. Replating cases is expensive and destroys the vintage feel of a piece. A new crystal wouldn't cost much, and, as anzac1957 says it would be a very nice and eminently wearable watch once serviced.
    Last edited by Marrick; May 23rd, 2015 at 07:43.
    busmatt and TradeKraft like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    No.
    I think that questions like the OP's should get answers supported with a little bit more arguments than none.

TradeKraft, patina is always a benefit, and this watch has it just perfect! The dial is in a really nice condition, all it'll take is a new crystal, strap, and movement service- and re-fitting the minute hand, but of course. In terms of money, selling it after the repairs wouldn't really bring much of a profit- I mean, it would bring some, but not nearly enough to be noticeable.
    As to the case- chrome-plated cases tend to show signs of use and wear, but if the pictures give justice to the condition of the case, then it's not that bad, I think.
    All in all, if you wish to have the watch repaired in order to wear it and at the same time save it for generations to come, I would advise to do it- definitely. The watch is small...by today's standards! If it's a 33mm, know that it was a normal size for a men's watch, and it was so until late 1980s. It is only the last two-three decades that gave us these 45mm monstrous chunks of steel, which look like wall clocks strapped onto a wrist. So, I guess that both you and your wife can wear this watch without any doubts about how it'll look. I've got 4 watches sized 33-34mm, and from my experiences as a habitual wearer of these, I can tell you, that if such a watch attracts attention, the chance it'll be negative is really, really small- and as a matter of fact, I mention the mere possibility of such an event pro forma ​only, for never did it happen to me.
    Last edited by mkws; May 23rd, 2015 at 13:35.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Watches aren't investments unless you have a recent inventory of collectable Rolex, Breiting and Heuer that the sheep are flocking to...Longines are collectable too and it's a nice looking original example ( from Pics.) The cosmetics tell the story and that's the allure of vintage!!! A new crystal is a must (or polish) and then service movement and leave as is...Yes it's a great sentimental investment....much more than monetary...
    Last edited by jackruff; May 24th, 2015 at 00:47.
    TradeKraft likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Inherited Vintage Longine - Small Second

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    I think that questions like the OP's should get answers supported with a little bit more arguments than none.

TradeKraft, patina is always a benefit, and this watch has it just perfect! The dial is in a really nice condition, all it'll take is a new crystal, strap, and movement service- and re-fitting the minute hand, but of course. In terms of money, selling it after the repairs wouldn't really bring much of a profit- I mean, it would bring some, but not nearly enough to be noticeable.
    As to the case- chrome-plated cases tend to show signs of use and wear, but if the pictures give justice to the condition of the case, then it's not that bad, I think.
    All in all, if you wish to have the watch repaired in order to wear it and at the same time save it for generations to come, I would advise to do it- definitely. The watch is small...by today's standards! If it's a 33mm, know that it was a normal size for a men's watch, and it was so until late 1980s. It is only the last two-three decades that gave us these 45mm monstrous chunks of steel, which look like wall clocks strapped onto a wrist. So, I guess that both you and your wife can wear this watch without any doubts about how it'll look. I've got 4 watches sized 33-34mm, and from my experiences as a habitual wearer of these, I can tell you, that if such a watch attracts attention, the chance it'll be negative is really, really small- and as a matter of fact, I mention the mere possibility of such an event pro forma ​only, for never did it happen to me.
    I really appreciate your response, and those from the others, I'll have to frequent this board more often.

The case and dial is in pretty decent condition overall and tells a great story, I like the idea of leaving it as is.

I have a well reviewed watch-smith in my area that I think I'll take it to. Our anniversary is coming up and it'll be a nice gift(though like you said I might borrow it on an occasion).

When it's completed I'll be sure to post some pictures. I really appreciate all your feedback and suggestions.
    Last edited by TradeKraft; May 23rd, 2015 at 21:07.
    Paleotime, Shum, mkws and 1 others like this.

Thread Information