Inherited Watch

Thread: Inherited Watch

Inherited Watch

Hi all, I just inherited a pocket watch from my grandfather who said it was his grandfather's. I have little to no experience in the world of pocket watches. The dial says American National Watch Co., And the inside of the flip open case says Champion and has the number "2965175" underneath. Any help identifying what this is would be great help. Also, where would be a place to get this watch serviced/restored? Thanks again for any help.

Re: Inherited Watch

It may be helpful to review forum guidelines and advice in the sticky threads, this one in particular will help you get better feedback:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/da...rst-68346.html
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Superspydude...Hello!

As you'll soon discover (!) Watchuseek is a place where 'A picture is worth 1,000 words'!

Sounds like you have an American-made watch ( Elgin? ), in what's known as a "Gold Filled" case: mostly brass, but with a sheet of Gold. These cases can be of a very nice quality, and quite desirable.

Once you Post some pictures, we'll be Off to the Races!

Michael.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pictures are helpful.

I'm new to the world of pocket watches, but I've found that one really good resource is the Pocket Watch Database. As you will see, you can plug in the maker and serial number of the movement and up pops a data sheet on a particular watch like the one below, which may or may not be your watch. (American was an early name of the more widely known Waltham.) If it's one of the major manufacturers, you can learn more about the company by clicking on the maker listed along the top and going to the "Company Profile" link in the drop down menu.

As far as service, the general consensus is that if you have a competent watchmaker locally then he or she should be able to service it. If not, then another member recommended Rob Carter at Pocket Watch Repairs.

Get it serviced, then get a nice chain and wear it on special occasions. Eventually you can hand it down to your grandchild. Congrats!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DowningB; 1 Week Ago at 16:38.

Also it's not the serial number on the case itself that we need it the
    serial number on the movement inside the case. As said photos are
    key.
    I eat pocket watches for breakfast lunch and dinner
    I like ketchup on them sometimes and maybe some spicy brown
    mustard. Sometimes I like them fried up in a Wok or
    made into a panini. They are so crunchy and delicious.

Oh yeah, the case number. Lol.

That's what happens when I haven't had enough coffee.

I did see a British watch pocket watch that had the movement serial number signed on the dial also. I thought that was an interesting way to make sure the dial is original, although it wasn't very pretty.

Thread Information