Inherited watches - novice looking for advice.
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Inherited watches - novice looking for advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inherited watches - novice looking for advice.

Hello All,

This is a first post for me having only just joined so please accept my apologies if some of you have been through this type of message before.

When my grandfather passed away some years ago I was given his collection of watches, mostly 1960's and 1970's but none of them were working. Nothing of real significant value but they have sat in a box for the better part of a decade. I've decided to try and return some life to the ones that look like they may have a future but I am a complete novice with regards to watch maintenance and repair.

Currently I have managed to get his Sekonda 19 Jewel USSR watch (2609.HA movement) running using some donor watches he had left around. I do have another watch sitting on my table i'm hoping to save. It is a Josmar Calendar Watch, the movement is completely seized so i'm planning on stripping it down to clean. I've purchased an incomplete donor watch for spares as back-up.

I don't have a picture of my actual watch, but I have got pictures of the watch and movement that I purchased as a donor which is identical (see below).

Does anyone have any information or advice on this type of watch / movement? If i have left any key information out please let me know, I'd really like to see his watches watches running again.

Thanks

Name:  josmar face 1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  8.9 KBName:  josmar movement.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  23.5 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Inherited watches - novice looking for advice.

Welcome to Watchuseek. That's the old Baumgartner Cal. BFG 866 or a derivative:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Baumgartner 866

It is a rugged but cheap pin lever movement. If the watch has sentimental value, it can be serviced and be made to run quite well but the money you put into that will be rather more than the watch is worth. But nevertheless, it is possible.

Hartmut Richter

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the reply and the information Hartmut Richter.

I gather that the movement in this watch was very common, I did take it to a watch repairer who said to throw it away because it was not worth repairing. The watch has never worked since I've had it so I figure I have nothing to lose in attempting the repair myself.

Would you know if there is anything specific I should be mindful of when dismantling this particular movement? Would spares for this movement be easy to find if I require any?

Thanks

Hi,

Lots of parts in Cousinsuk https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/bfg-movement-parts
    But I think it would be cheaper to just get a working movement.. :)
    Last edited by laikrodukas; August 8th, 2015 at 15:24.
    Chaos is my focus

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Spares can easily be found in the shape of replacement or donor movements on eBay. As for servicing it yourself, please be aware that you need certain tools for that which already exceed the value of the movement by far (although you do have them for further servicing after that) and that you are certain to trash the first ten movements you dismantle at a bare minimum. Probably rather more, especially if you don't buy and read some literature on the subject first.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by gavinmander View Post
    I gather that the movement in this watch was very common, I did take it to a watch repairer who said to throw it away because it was not worth repairing. The watch has never worked since I've had it so I figure I have nothing to lose in attempting the repair myself.
    If as you've said it is a piece you've inherited, it's always worth repairing it, whatever it is. Can you put a price on sentiments? Not a good watchmaker, looks like it.
    There is that sort of them who think that a watch that doesn't represent anything in their opinion is a waste of their time. I don't like defeatism, and I don't like defeatists. And conceited defeatists all the more... Especially that one I've heard saying that to a customer returned to changing a battery in a Chinese quartz. It is quite possible, that you've met a battery-changer who isn't capable of fixing a mechanical watch at all.

So try to find another watchmaker, who will be more helpful, and who will at least give it a try. Yes you probably will need a donor movement, which will act as a stash of spare parts, but you're also going to need someone who will be able to assemble the movement so that it will actually work.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thank you for the responses Hartmut and mkws.

I do have most of the more standard tools, screwdrivers, tweezers, clamps, demags etc as i work as an engineer and use the tools for similar applications. I've always had an interest it mechanical watches so I intend to focus on other watches in my collection once this project is complete.

Would you be able to advise me on any specific tools I would need to carry out watch repair? I assume i would need an ultrasonic cleaner of some sort to remove the debris from the movement.

Also would you be able to advice on any books that might be useful for someone starting out?

Thanks

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

. . . . Does anyone have any information or advice on this type of watch / movement? . . . .
    Pin levers as a group are idiosyncratic in their design. BFG as a brand is somewhat idiosyncratic within the pin lever classification. The peculiarities of the pin lever as contrasted to the conventional swiss lever are numerous enough to be unconducive to a more detailed disertation by myself in this situe. Sufficeth to say: The general level of the complexity of their disassembly is such that a properly orientated and trained mature mechanical mind has no siginificant obstacle in accomplishing it. The reverse procedure - assembly - is somewhat fidgety due in part to the majority bridge, the length of the pin lever arbor (and its inherent instability) and the nature of the steady (locating) pins and their type of engagement with the bridge. There are also other aspects of the plate and bridges design that contribute to the quirkiness of the assembly of these. Service and repairwise - the type has indemic solutions unique to it - like the adjustment of the "cannon pinion function" tension.

. . . . Would you be able to advise me on any specific tools I would need to carry out watch repair? . . . . Also would you be able to advice on any books that might be useful for someone starting out? . . . .
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/gett...ls-688276.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/watc...ry-941627.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pithy; August 10th, 2015 at 18:23. Reason: graphics resolution
    HOROLOGIST007 and Habitant like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information