Interesting Bucherer 200m watch
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By journeyforce
  • 1 Post By Old Navman

Thread: Interesting Bucherer 200m watch

Interesting Bucherer 200m watch

Today I went to my watchmaker to get the band on a Citizen sized for my wrist.

In his watch case was a Bucherer automatic watch. A closer look showed that not only did this watch have waterproof (a sign it was a 1960's watch) on the case back but wording that said it was tested at 20 ATM. It also had a screw down crown which I had not seen on a 1960's watch other then a Rolex. As it was serviced with a year warranty and was a stainless steel watch. I bought it

(I cannot do a simple thing like go into a watch place to size a band without leaving with another watch)

For those that don't know Bucherer is a Swiss jewelry/fashion house (like Tiffany) that uses movements from watch manufactures. It was not uncommon to have a Bucherer watch with a Vacharon, Rolex, Eterna, Valijoux movement in it.

This company has always had a close relationship with Rolex because Ernst Bucherer and Hans Wilsdorf (Rolex founder) were good friends.

Here are pics of the "new" watch before it got it's band.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Interesting Bucherer 200m watch

Very nice watch jf. Nice get. I would certainly have been tempted beyond my control by that too. How long do we have to wait to see what's inside.?

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    (I cannot do a simple thing like go into a watch place to size a band without leaving with another watch)
    I went into an AD recently for a strap and guess what happened...

That is pretty unusual for a non-diver to be rated 200m, I’m interested to know the story behind it (maybe they wanted to one-up Rolex?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good looking watch. Bucherer used a variety of movements from simple pin lever to a 5 position adjusted chronometer grade. Your watch could contain a real surprise or "middle of the road" movement. What does make it interesting is the screw down crown and the fact it's 20 Atm waterproof; I note that it also appears to have the tension ring (armoured plexi)?
    SunnyOrange likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I’d just point out that since it’s a Bucherer watch you can’t automatically assume that the US regulations regarding waterproof markings can be used to date it into the Sixties. Could easily be early seventies especially with the screw down crown.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Replacement case back from another (diver's) watch that happened to fit?!!

I'd prefer to see the engravings on the inside of the case back (if any) before I believe that story.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

Hartmut Richter
    That has crossed my mind but for now I'll give it a benefit of the doubt. I think earlier on Bucherer (lake many other makers) used blank watch backs but later on they had information written there possibly due to changes to import laws? Here is the back from my Bucherer - apart from obvious things there is nothing to indicate that it in-fact belongs to this watch (case/back probably made by the millions by watch case co.)
    Name:  Bucherer back - Copy.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  114.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post

I'd prefer to see the engravings on the inside of the case back (if any) before I believe that story.....

Hartmut Richter

Why are you so freakin negative about everything?? Every post you find something wrong about a watch.

I have learned to discount anything that you post.

So if we work on your perception that the case back is from a Bucherer diver and the watch is a put together franken, then how do you explain the crown?? I suppose the same person that switched the case back also took the time to source a screw down crown. Then found a crown tube that screwed into the crown and then drilled out the old crown tube and some how attached this new crown to the case? He/she must be a remarkable crafts person.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Navman View Post
    That has crossed my mind but for now I'll give it a benefit of the doubt. I think earlier on Bucherer (lake many other makers) used blank watch backs but later on they had information written there possibly due to changes to import laws? Here is the back from my Bucherer - apart from obvious things there is nothing to indicate that it in-fact belongs to this watch (case/back probably made by the millions by watch case co.)
    Name:  Bucherer back - Copy.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  114.7 KB

In the time I have been posting, I have learned to discount much of what Mr. Richter states.

In any case He has not exactly come up with a reason for a screw down crown. I suppose that the same case back switcher magically added a screw down crown along with replacement case tube also.

In any event, the watch uses a thick caseback gasket (like you find in the Accutron Deepsea). it also uses a ETA 2772 that states 4 adjustments on it. I suppose that was frankened into the watch also?

journeyforce

Quite a decent movement - 21600 A/h, automatic, sweep second, date: set by changing 20-24h, adj. 4 position. OK.
    Does yours have the optional hack feature?

Thread Information