Introducin myself and asking reference about a watch

Thread: Introducin myself and asking reference about a watch

Picture Introducin myself and asking reference about a watch

Hello to everyone, my name is Rodolfo Cortés, I'm from Mexico and i have been reading some forums frequently on the last 6 months, trying to learn and taking advices before buying anything... about 2 months ago, my father gave me 2 watches (of 5) that he bought between 1950 and 1980, and i present you the first one, i'm not sure the year, and i understand Baume & Mercier is not a great watch since they didn't made their own movements and is qualified as a regular and sometimes overpriced watches... but what can you say when it's free?

so here it is the first watch, any help or advice you can give me? i sent the watch to service with a 75 yr old nice guy that has been working in his own business for 40 years in the same place, he inspired me confidence and he told me that it was a fairly good watch.

please give me your opinions

Any idea wich movement is and years?

Thank you for your help.

---Edit----

The pictures are before the service.... :)

Rodolfo
    Last edited by rcmx; September 22nd, 2010 at 18:41.

Re: Introducin myself and asking reference about a watch

That is a good watch, very nice quality and by a good maker
    and in lovely condition.

This is an excellent watch. Probably a 60's vintage but could be later as some designs are timeless!

Don't believe all the stuff you hear about the only good watch companies are the ones that make their own movements. Nubies are telling you that.

And welcome to Vintage!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pej

Great looking watch, no need at all to be ashamed of a Baume et Mercier, they have built some beautiful watches and this is one of them.

A great addition to any collection. Nice way to start!

Many watch companies have changed hands or changed direction over the years. The reputation of B&M as more of a fashion watch today is quite different from the older days as when yours was made. It's a fine watch in beautiful original condition.
    "My grail showed up today"

Thank you for the comments, and the welcoming, i just hope to keep learning and maybe, in a while, buy some watches, but trusting e-bay is difficult, i've found some sellers here in Mexico, but here, watches are more overpriced than ebay... it's just that i should be patient....

On other subject the other watch i received is a citizen alarm date, 21j, from 1969 i guess... but maybe i'll show it on the poor man wacth forum! :oops: i haven't seen post of citizens here...

thanks

Rodolfo

Quote Originally Posted by rcmx View Post
    Thank you for the comments, and the welcoming, i just hope to keep learning and maybe, in a while, buy some watches, but trusting e-bay is difficult, i've found some sellers here in Mexico, but here, watches are more overpriced than ebay... it's just that i should be patient....

On other subject the other watch i received is a citizen alarm date, 21j, from 1969 i guess... but maybe i'll show it on the poor man wacth forum! :oops: i haven't seen post of citizens here...

thanks

Rodolfo
    Rodolfo, You don't need to be ashamed of a vintage Citizen. You might not have found Citizen here, but there are a lot of Seiko's around. The Citizen alarm is a good quality watch and for certain more rare and interesting then just another mechanical alarm watch having a AS movement.

Hi Rodolfo!!

Great to hear from another Mexican "compa" here in WUS

Your B et M is really a nice watch and the movement seems to be of very good quality.
    If you want information of vintage wristwatches in Mexico City please let me know by PM.

Saludos

Kingmatic

Thread Information