Introducing myself and seeking advice.

Thread: Introducing myself and seeking advice.

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Introducing myself and seeking advice.

About fifteen years ago I found a busted Longines 12.68Z in a car boot sale and paid £1 for it as a project. It served me well and I wear it on special occasions now. I bought another old Longines, loads of old Russians to learn watchmaiming on (Cheap and plentiful, easy to strip and fix) and learned a lot. Then I bought an Omega at a watch fair at which point I realised I've got it bad. Having two of my four preferred makes, I went looking for the other two and have just turned up an old Movado sport with a sub second hand, 1940s or maybe '50s.
    A watchmaker of my acquaintance told me that they made a good watch (I like the engines rather than the jewellery aspect,) but apart from that, I know little about them. Is there a Movado nut around herewith an archive of technical stuff? I'd like to know more.
    The fourth one? That rectangular green JLC I saw in a shop window on the way home from my first day at work in Cheltenham 34 years ago. I was astonished to find that there were people who could afford to spend on a watch more than I earned in TWO years!

Re: Introducing myself and seeking advice.

As I understand it, the 'railroad grade' pocket watches used to cost their owners the equivalent of two months pay... But to your point, the inequality of income is today as bad as it has been in many many generations... which means there are lots of people who can spend two years pay on a watch or my entire retirement savings on a car!

The good aspect of this is these people usually discard these items quickly and us more normal people can buy them for a fraction of the new price... While Pateks are never cheap, check out vintage Longines prices on eBay -- amazing watches can be had for 20% of what similar watches are selling for new.

The moral of the story to me is, don't venture over into those forums where everyone is buying new watches!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

Actually Eeb, last week I spent considerably more than my retirement savings on a car. Just under three months salary in all. As for the assertion that Vintage Longines are cheap compared to similar new watches, there aren't any. The vintage ones win hands down. Even so you will still be paying around £250 for something decent which is a lot for some people to spend on something used. It will of course go on for ever so it is only a few pence a week over twenty five years. Let's just hope that the grandchildren cherish it...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
    Actually Eeb, last week I spent considerably more than my retirement savings on a car. Just under three months salary in all. As for the assertion that Vintage Longines are cheap compared to similar new watches, there aren't any. The vintage ones win hands down. Even so you will still be paying around £250 for something decent which is a lot for some people to spend on something used. It will of course go on for ever so it is only a few pence a week over twenty five years. Let's just hope that the grandchildren cherish it...
    My kids told me to buy more gold watches so they can melt them down when gold reaches $5K/oz

I find the advantages of buying used just so compelling ... But I know I'll never be able to afford a used Patek unless it has been run over by a tank!

As to retirement savings... I can tell you aren't in the US... here we being trained to rely only on our savings for retirement... that way the rich can have way lower taxes and companies don't have to fund pensions

Of course you can always claim you are "investing" in watches -- but that is a road heading to deception... unless my kids are right about the price of gold

Getting back to your request for a Movado technical site... the closest I know if is Ranfft's general movement site. If you are getting into the technical aspects of the movements, concentrating on one maker isn't probably as important in the initial stages as getting to know how they work in general. There are lots of sites for this. Spend some time on Google or searching WatchUSeek and you will enjoy what you find.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi Tomshep:
    I am not an watch or clock historian of course! But I can tell you that Movado was one of the most important and interesting manufactures, with many important developments. Even today is well respected but IMHO nothing equivalent to early days.

Enjoy your Movado

Saluds from Mexico
    Last edited by Kingmatic; March 17th, 2008 at 23:56.

Thread Information