Introduction & Questions about a 1976 Gir
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nonfinal
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Introduction & Questions about a 1976 Gir

Introduction & Questions about a 1976 Gir

Hi folks!

My name is Alex, and I'm new to watchuseek (long-time-lurker turned poster). I'm the proud owner of a number of watches including a Tissot PRS 200, a Tissot PRC 200, a simple Seiko solar, a Timex Weekender, etc. However, the reason I'm posting here is because I have recently inherited my grandfather's Girard Perregaux Olimpico, and am checking in to see if I can find out some more information on the watch.

Name:  IMG_5276.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.16 MB
    Name:  IMG_5277.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  2.54 MB
    Name:  IMG_5278.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  2.76 MB
    Name:  IMG_5280.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  2.69 MB

From this post I've deduced that it's the 1976 version. Thankfully it currently works (both the time keeping and chronograph functions), and it appears to be pretty accurate. I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if anybody has any information on these topics. I apologize for any amateur questions.
    1. The crystal is very scuffed up. Were the original crystals very scratch-resistant? If so, is it likely that this is a replacement? Does anybody have any suggestions on ways to polish it up, or is it best to try to find a way to replace it?
    2. I've never owned a wind-up watch before and am curious on some of the workings. The crown spins freely when I twist it counterclockwise (i.e. the direction opposite to the way it winds) - is this normal? Should I have it checked out?
    3. Does anyone have knowledge about the original band? Since the band my grandfather had was broken, I put on a cheap black leather band that I had sitting around, but I'm wondering what the original looked like? I would like to try to put something on that looks more like the original band.
    4. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the movement seems to be wobbling around in the casing. There is a gap between the face and the top of the casing when I lay the watch flat, and it moves around when I shake it or press the chronograph buttons. I plan on getting this checked out soon, but is this something that I should be more concerned about? Is there a grommet or something that I could purchase to fix this myself? Should I not wear it until then? I have some tools and could take the back off to take a look around, but I have never done this before and am worried about messing something up.
    5. Does anybody have an suggestions for good products that I can use to clean up the exterior surfaces? There's a lot of buildup on the watch, especially around the bevel, and I'd like to know how others would go about cleaning this up.
    6. The chronograph's second hand and the minute hand, as well as the colored markings from the 0-15 minute marks seem darker than those in Mr Rick's post linked above. I understand that cameras/lighting can make these appear different, and that sometimes colors will fade, but were these watches frequently counterfeited? If so, where should I begin to confirm its authenticity? It also appears as if the crown lacks the markings in Mr Rick's post, and that the color on the hour/minute hands is faded or darker on my watch.
    7. I believe that this watch has not been serviced in quite some time - is there anything that I should be doing for maintenance wise that will ensure this will last for a long time? What sorts of things should I be looking for restoration, etc.?
    8. Is there anything else that I'm not asking about for watches like this that I should be thinking about? I am not concerned about value or anything like that since the watch has much more sentimental value to me than it could possibly be worth, but I'm curious about other things that I should be thinking about when owning an older watch like this.

Thanks everyone!
    mikmis likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Introduction & Questions about a 1976 Gir

Welcome to Watchuseek! That's a lovely chronograph from the mid-1970s. The movement should look like this:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Excelsior 40

Since it is a manual watch, the crown should spin quite freely with a light ratchety sound when turned counterclockwise. Winding (clockwise) should be free at first but become increasingly stiff until you come to an endpoint when it won't go any further until it has been allowed to run for a while. The crystal is probably original and was never entirely scuff proof (plexiglass never is) but unless it has been gauged deeply or even cracked, it should be polishable. The movement should be held by a movement holder ring and this may have worn out (hence the wobbly movement) but if you get it serviced (as you should do to avoid damage if you are going to wear it), the watchmaker may be able to find a replacement. He will also clean the outer surfaces and polish the crystal for you.

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Introduction & Questions about a 1976 Gir

Thanks for the advice Hartmut Richter! There's a great watchmaker in my hometown that I've been to a couple times, so I'll definitely bring it in to see if he can help with the movement holder ring and the crystal.

Thread Information